IGNORED

Bypassed the intake heater lines but can't get the caps to stop bursting

ngallina

I have a 73z with round top carbs. The coolant lines somewhere behind the intake sprung a leak about 6 months. So I bypassed the lines. The problem is that I bought coolant caps from my local autoparts store and they keep bursting. I have had 3 break now. So I thought that I would just get a piece of hose and stick a bolt in the end and clamp it. This also didn't work. It just leaked no matter how tight I got it. By now most of you are thinking just take the whole pipe off. But the end of it has my temp sensor for the electric fans. So does anyone have any ideas on how to stop this from leaking. Thanks Nickpost-12440-14150819596985_thumb.jpg

post-12440-14150819595423_thumb.jpg

post-12440-14150819595965_thumb.jpg

post-12440-14150819596523_thumb.jpg

Bolts don't make good plugs because the threads are hard to seal to and create a leak path. If you use bolts use some that have a section near the head without any threads and place the clamps on that area. Generally, long bolts will have an unthreaded section. If you need to cut them shorter.

I also have a 73 with this type of coolant pipes. You might think about replacing it with an earlier 240z thermostat housing. They only have a single coolant fitting instead of 3 fittings like yours. It is a smaller size fitting than the large one you have the sensor in, but I'm not sure what size it is. I can check if you want me to sometime when I'm at home?

My thermostat housing wouldn't stop leaking and when I went to get a 73 housing I found that they are NLA. So I capped off the intake manifold pipes, and sized down the coolant hose off the single fitting.

Bryce

What is a coolant cap? I know what a freeze plug is.

I had to modify the coolant system on a 260z I'm converting to round tops,

had to plug some of the metal lines. I machined a brass plug and silver soldered

it into the holes in the tube. I could have left a small piece of hose with a bolt

as you did but wanted to do the job right. That way the lines still look original,

they just have a blunt end where the hose used to go.

Jim

The coolant cap on my 73 has a '15' on the end. Could that be a pressure rating? It has not leaked since Dealership installed. The rear pipe T had been flattened & soldered shut. A long, long time ago, 1980 and 11K miles now. :)

Bonzi Lon

The temp sensor for the fans is threaded, but I am not sure of the thread size or where I could purchase the adaptor.

Zed Head, you are probably correct. The fans seam to turn on when they are supposed to, but the sensor is not in the most optimal place. Is there a better place for it?