IGNORED

Pontiac Solstice

tlorber

I was on the freeway yesterday and saw a hardtop Solstice. Either I'd only seen the ragtops or just hadn't noticed it before, but it really had the modern look of an early Z.

Anyone know much about them?

post-20299-1415081907286_thumb.gif

post-20299-14150819072171_thumb.jpg

Edited by tlorber

Pure, unadulterated JUNK.

Yes, they are beautiful. On the outside. But inside it's all the worst GM parts bin crap. Nothing very sporty about them either, although you could get a turbocharged GXP version.

It was a modern day Fiero (yes, I know it's not mid-engine): High on concept, low on execution.

But did I mention they're beautiful?

Edited by JonnyRock

The "coupe" is/was really a targa-type with a removable roof panel. No room to stow the roof panel in the car though, so you had to plan ahead. The targa was only available in the Pontiac version. I personally prefer the styling of the Saturn or Opel versions over the Pontiac, but even so none of them are something I would actually buy.

I have seen 1 hardtop Soltice in person and they are cool. Its too bad, Pontiac was really hitting its stride again with the Solstice, G8 sedans, and a few other items of interest when GM pulled the plug. I understand it had to happen as the brands were competing with one another. I wonder if Vicki got moved to another area when Pontiac and Saturn got axed. She definitely has a good idea and hopefully we will see some more of her designs in the future.