IGNORED

An original 240Z exhaust for $120

24 Ounces

Hey Guys...I was on Craigslist a month ago looking for "Original 240Z exhaust" and struck paydirt. I found an original exhaust from a '73 240Z from the LA area for $120. The seller was a young guy who had recently purchased the 48k mile car from the original owner. It had been sitting for a long time and the son and his dad got the car running with a few evenings of work, and then decided to go with a sportier-sounding exhaust and other engine upgrades. I bought it through Paypal and had it shipped by Greyhound bus to Columbus, OH (cost approx. $100). The exhaust is in incredible condition and has the Nichira muffler and resonator (both still have most of their original black paint). The exhaust hangers and clamps are still with it, and they use 14mm nuts (not very rusty and still have turnable nuts). The resonator has the part number 20100-N3350, and the muffler is a 20100-N3300 (both correct according to the factory parts fiche). The rear hanger is riveted, not bolted together. My car still has most of its original hangers, and they are still in pretty good shape due to its Calif. origins. My plan is to keep my original 240 completely stock...this exhaust goes a long way towards that goal.

Best regards, Alex from Ohio

post-23981-14150818950223_thumb.jpg

post-23981-14150818950965_thumb.jpg

post-23981-14150818951694_thumb.jpg

post-23981-14150818952511_thumb.jpg

post-23981-14150818953235_thumb.jpg

post-23981-14150818953972_thumb.jpg

post-23981-14150818954604_thumb.jpg

Edited by 24 Ounces

The origional exhaust, while it looks good, can be corroding from the inside. A 40 year old car with very low miles, has more than likely been used tootling around local and seldom got hot enough to cook out the exhaust.

Olzed...it appears to be very solid...no appearance of rust. Once it's hooked up I'll know what cond. it's REALLY in.

Keith...good to see you on here. You'll have to stop by for a beer the next time you're on the east side of Columbus. Do you ever attend any of the ZROC club events? BTW...Olzed, you're welcome to stop by for a beer, too!

That's good to hear, always nice to find a gem among the junk.

I'm a faithful hunter of ebay, craigslist and kijiji, every morning I go through the ads looking for new postings and it is always a thrill to find a reasonably priced gem that you need.

This weekend I'm going to P/U a L28 rebuilt, 5spd tranny, driveshaft, 3.9 R200 LS diff with halfshafts and hangers for $900 that I'll use to rebuild a /70 240z.

24 Ounces, when do you think you will have your finished?

• 3 weeks later...

G-Knot...I'm gathering the pieces for the exhaust switch. I just bought the last 4 ( ! ) original 240Z exhaust straps left in Nissan USA's parts system (part number 20636-N4600), so I'm a little closer to putting it on. The straps weren't cheap, but the money was well spent. I'll be shipping the down pipe to Jet Hot Coating in OKC sometime later this month and will let you know how it turns out and take before and after photos. I did a visual inspection of the exhaust manifold and discovered one of the studs is busted off, so I may have to pull the head to get the stud remains drilled out at a machine shop (great time to clean up the carbs and intake area).

Your '70 project sounds like great fun, and it should be a real performer with the upgrades you're planning. Sounds like you got a great deal on the package! Keep us all posted on the progress.

Best regards