IGNORED

Filler tube removal on very early Z (1/1970) with molded on lower flange

Hi all,

I pulled the gas tank on my 240 today to replace a leaky fuel vapor hose on top of the tank though I could not get the clamp screw on the filler hose on the tank to turn without springing back to the original position as I tried to turn it with vise grips. Also I could not remove the three screws holding the filler tube lower flange on with the tank in the way. This meant the filler tube was holding the tank to the car since this early 1970 model has the lower rubber flange molded to the filler tube. In direct violation of Murphy's law as I pulled on the tank it fell off of the filler tube where the tank clamp was solving the problem. I notice the early filler tubes are different apparently than on later model cars as the one on my car has the molded on lower rubber flange and the new filler tube I have has the lower rubber flange molded onto a metal flange that is slid over the filler tube making removal much easier I think. Was there some other way to get the filler tube off without cutting it? I wanted to save it as they don't seem all that cheap.

Mike

Hose comparison old to new

post-18366-14150818871648_thumb.jpg

View under car

post-18366-14150818871175_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mikes Z car

I don't see anything in your first Post - that states you cut the filler tube in the first place? The only way to change the filler tube is to drop the tank down. I don't understand what you are asking...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl,

Sorry, I didn't mean to be unclear. I didn't have to cut the filler tube as the tank finally fell off of it. I was wondering if it hadn't fallen off if there was some other way of getting the tank off of the filler tube given that I couldn't get the screw to turn on the filler hose at the tank clamp and I couldn't get the 3 screws at the lower flange under the car to unscrew that hold the lower flange on because the tank was in the way so I couldn't get the vise grips on those 3 screws. The filler hose on my early 1970 car has the lower rubber flange molded into the filler hose so they are one piece meaning if I couldn't get those three screws out of the lower flange I couldn't drop the hose down to let the tank down for better access to the screws. The new replacement hose I have has the lower flange slid over the hose; that design would have allowed the tank to drop down even if I couldn't have gotten the lower 3 screws loose.

I still am not sure if I am being clear enough.

Mike

Hi Mike:

OK - clear enough. I guess I can't answer your question. I've never removed a tank with any intention of saving the old filler neck. Most of the time the reason for removing the tank was to replace a cracked filler neck to begin with - and other times if I had to remove the tank for some reason I intended to replace the filler neck while I was at it anyway. Because as they age they get brittle - then crack.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Mike - the conventional wisdom for removing and installing the fuel filler tube is to gently heat it with a hair dryer or heat gun. You want to use enough heat to make the tube flexible, not so much as to deform it. A little heat goes a long way! After you get the new tube installed and are ready to get the tank back in, a little heat at the bottom of the tube will help with sliding the tank tube into place. A little heat on the tank tube might also help. Even a little bit of bearing grease on the inside of the filler tube will help with the insertion. Hope this helps.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the information. You mention using bearing grease to help slide the filler hose on the tank, I noticed on another thread on the filler tube that lithium grease is also mentioned as a lubricant for getting the filler hose on. I didn't think one wanted to put grease on rubber? Someone told me that grease on rubber makes the rubber dissolve though I have no personal experience on that and I haven't seen other points of view.

Mike

Jim,

Thanks for the information. You mention using bearing grease to help slide the filler hose on the tank, I noticed on another thread on the filler tube that lithium grease is also mentioned as a lubricant for getting the filler hose on. I didn't think one wanted to put grease on rubber? Someone told me that grease on rubber makes the rubber dissolve though I have no personal experience on that and I haven't seen other points of view.

Mike

:ermm: Well then whoever that was is not very well informed.

I use lithium grease (Shin Etsu) on all my weatherstripping, it keeps the rubber "fresh".