IGNORED

Replacing heater hoses

dltalfa

I am about to replace my heater hoses on my 240z. My question is; is there a simplier way to do this job. I can just barely get my hands in there to reach one of the hoses. I'm afraid that after I finally get them off, (inside the cabin),...I may never get the new one's installed and the clamps tightened.

I would like to hear how some of you guys handled this job.

Edited by dltalfa
Spelling errors

I replaced mine a couple years ago and I remember that it wasn't easy but it wasn't that hard either. I either used my tiny Craftsman ratchet with screwdriver atachments. Or I went with more modern hose clamps and a nutdriver and small ratchet. Remove your carpet so it doesn't get wet from coolant. You might want to remove the seat and crawl inside. Good luck!

Chuck

When I replaced the heater hoses on my first 240 I made the mistake of twisting too hard on one of the hoses to get it off the heater core and the pipe that was a part of the heater core broke off. It might have done me a favor though, maybe if the heater core was that weak it needed replacing anyway.

• Like 1

I disconnected the heater control cable from the valve, removed the more accessible hose from the valve, disconnected both hoses from the engine, and removed the valve and second hose together. This way I was able to easily remove the second hose from the valve out of the car. I cleaned the valve and replaced the second hose, then reversed the process. There was no way I was getting that second hose clamp loose in that small space (I have the dealer installed AC).

great info thanks all! have a bit of leakage on the passenger side I noticed today....

I hate to say it but...if it were my car I'd pull the heater box out, clean it, install new seals, replace the heater core, etc.

Chuck

Replace the heater core??? Where do you find one? I looked everywhere I could think of about six months ago - no one had any at that point. Motorsports shows one - for like $300.00 - but did not have any to actually sell.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Replace the heater core??? Where do you find one? I looked everywhere I could think of about six months ago - no one had any at that point. Motorsports shows one - for like $300.00 - but did not have any to actually sell.

Ahhhh!!! You're right. They still sell them for the 280Z and that's what I was looking at recently. I suppose a radiator shop might be able to replace the center section and reuse the original end tanks. Thanks for pointing that out.

Chuck

Just another thought, remember to replace the small hose (about 2" long as I recall) that attaches to the heater core. I think they refer to it as a transfer hose (MSA catalog). It's also easier to do if you loosen the blower motor or remove it if you can. The front bolt on the blower is up against the rear of the glove box, so good luck with that (w/o removing glove box). Patience and a fair amount of contortion will get you thru it. I'd also replace the firewall grommets and go to standard hose clamps. Easier to deal with in tight spaces. Good luck. AW

FYI... this is what eveything looks like under the dash. I find it always helps me to have a picture in my head of what I am dealing with. You can see the short curved hose mentioned above. If I recall correctly, MSA sells the genuine Nissan part (pre-bent). Hope this helps.

Jim

post-22303-14150818865337_thumb.jpg

post-22303-14150818865598_thumb.jpg