Sign in to follow this  
BoldUlysses

How Many Z Drivers Also Own BMWs?

Mike, there is a staggered setup you can run. I have the staggered 162 wheels from a 330 that will be going on my 330xi.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/uploadedimages/wheels/162a.jpg

18x8 front 225/40-18

18x8.5 rear 255/35-18

0.23 % overall diameter difference which is well within the BMW spec. BMW sells Xi cars with this setup.

Read here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362505

I often toss around the idea of selling one of my Z cars, and replacing it with a Z4....

Edited by cygnusx1

I bought an '88 325is in '98 for $3500, sold it in '10 with 300k on the odometer for $1000. Put 2 slave cylinders and a new driveshaft plus routine stuff, tires and sparkplugs. So far the very best car I've owned. I beat the crap out of that 6 cylinder.

I wanted a BMW in the past .

It was a teenager's bucket list thing I guess ! I looked into a Z8 , but it wasn't practical enough .

I will say though I am very happy with my Infiniti FX45 . Never gives me any issues . None .

I have to stick up for '' our '' Datsun inspired luxo barge . V8 power, all wheel drive , 20'' rims - big interior.

Never been much of a Bimmer fan.

I know some have reported having good luck with them, but literally everyone I know that has one has experienced poor reliability & high maintenance cost issues. But they all like the way they drive. In 2007, Design Engineering magazine had a picture of a 1997 Lexus ES 300 on the cover. Title of the article was: "Why does a 10 year old Lexus have better reliability than a brand new BMW"".

I also feel the same concern as Arne describes above when I drive & park my 240Z. I'm cognizant that some idiot could hit me and total my car, which takes a little of the enjoyment out of using it. But they are meant to be driven, and driving it on a curvy road puts a super-wide grin on my face!

In the early 70's in several race tracks the little brother of the Z,the marvel 510 prepared by BRE beat the BMW 2002 constantly and even today 40 yrs later in historical races with privateers, so when they call it the ''poor man's BMW'' I smile with joy..........;)

Edited by 72 OJ

I often toss around the idea of selling one of my Z cars, and replacing it with a Z4....

The rear profile of the car reminds me so much of a Z car, fellow z car buddy has one in Huntsville, and it looks spectacular

Z4 ///M Coupe

post-26759-14150818511016_thumb.jpg

powerful naturally aspirated inline 6 too!

Absolutely, the BMW's can't compare to the reliability of the Japanese jewelry cars, but, BMW manages to retain a "driver's car" feel, that makes the Z cars so appealing. If I purely wanted reliability and almost zero risk, financially and mechanically, I would not buy a BMW, but then again why would I own a Z?

Glad you like it. I personally don't care for Bangle's work at all. Too gimmick-laden for my taste. BMW's reached their modern-era peak with the E36 and pre-headlight-halo E39, all downhill since then.

I can't agree more, I was honestly disgusted by the direction BMW took afterwards with Bangle's stuff. I can appreciate a nice E46 M3 but would never own one, as it's a huge money pit, relatively speaking.

With that said, the E36 and prior generations are great. They really are driver's cars, and feel fantastic on the open road. BMW had the feel of every switch, button, latch and steering wheel down perfectly. It does seem like every single one develops electrical glitches, especially in the window switches, and the cooling systems always seemed to be lacking especially on the E36 and later cars. A friend of mine has an E36 M3 and another recently sold his E30 M3. What a car! Beautiful, nimble, and very advanced for it's time.

I was recently shopping for a new-to-me car and had it down to two, the E36 M Coupe or Honda S2000. The M Coupe is gorgeous (in my eyes), torquey and handles great, but I ultimately went with the S2000 mainly because of reliability/maintenance concerns. I have enough Z-cars to mess around with, I don't need my DD breaking down or needing excessive/expensive maintenance!

I feel that the S2000 is similar to the 240Z, lightweight, bulletproof drivetrain, long hood and seating position by the rear axle. Sorry for that tangent but I'm betting that quite a few Z owners have/had an S2000 as well! :D

No longer mine, but my ex has a 98 M Roadster... Amazing how similar it is in feel and attitude as the s130... (not heavy and bloated as many of you might think :stupid: ) Here in the twisties of WNC, having a car that corners is a wonderful thing, and they both felt "right." Yes, the M has much more power (stupid fast) and would skunk the ZX on the straightaways-not so much on the curves. I told her that were she to wreck it beyond the point of repair, that I'd gut it for the engine/drivetrain (and as much of the interior as I could) to transplant...

post-11908-14150818512019_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150818512288_thumb.jpg

WE bought my wyfe a I128 convertible 2008. It rides Nicely. I personnaly drive a MINI witch are made by BMW but i will never have

another MINI not enought choice for maintenance an the nerest dealer canot do the job good in one visit not that there were many

visits but all of them where a catastrophy. They heaven deliver me the car with a very noisy sunroof. Bad way to start a relation

with a dealer.

Some sweet E34's in here :) I don't have a Z and sold my 510 but here is my 92 E34 525 with turbo M52/S52 cams, 5 speed and 6 piston wilwoods. BTW, I am also five&dime on bf.c

Just made 350 RWHP and 344 ft lbs of torque at 15 lbs running low 10's on the AFR. New tune will be here this week. Hoping for 375+ at the wheels. Faster than an E39 M5. From the dyno comparison b/t my car and a 2010 M6, I am making more torque across the board and more power until the M6 hits 6k RPM :)

IMO, BMW's do not suffer from poor reliability but the owners failure to do regular maintenance. A BMW is not a car you just drive until the wheels fall off like the old Datsuns/Nissans. The cooling systems seem to be the weakest link. I think the rule of thumb for a non M BMW is about $1k-1500 per year and for an M, it jumps to about $2500-3k (lots of variables of course). In regards to poor leather quality, they make several different grades.. I also personally think the 2002-2003 E39 M5 is the best car BMW ever made. Although I do love the new F10 BMW's. The E60's are starting to grow on me as well. Never cared much for the 3 series but I do like the E30 and E36 best. It does suck that the E36 M3 (US spec) is the only M car that didn't come with ITB's.

And yes I know my rears need spacers. The front ACS wheels are real and the rears are reps. I plan on getting real 9.5" rears to replace the reps one of these days.

5794934701_343ddd26b4_b.jpg

5741848956_638003bbf7_b.jpg

6897197404_016f52f8e0_b.jpg

5507183557_70f1053a94_b.jpg

Edited by five&dime

Some sweet E34's in here :) I don't have a Z and sold my 510 but here is my 92 E34 525 with turbo M52/S52 cams, 5 speed and 6 piston wilwoods. BTW, I am also five&dime on bf.c

Hey over here, Brandon. I didn't know you sold the 510??? But maybe that's old news...

I forgot the requisite pictures....

Stunning E21!

Yup. Almost 2 years ago. I can honestly say I really don't miss it too much. And at the price I got, I would still sell it today if I had to do it over again. One day I wouldn't mind getting another but would probably get a wagon. I am obsessed with wagons. E39 touring, Volvo 850 T5-R, 510, VW squarebacks, etc. I want them all :D

Arne, Love that E21 323! Dual exhaust :) I assume you did that yourself? Looks factory.

Edited by five&dime

I am obsessed with wagons. E39 touring, Volvo 850 T5-R, 510, VW squarebacks, etc. I want them all :D

I LOVE the Volvo P1800 wagons, but that would be like having another Z...

Yup. Almost 2 years ago. I can honestly say I really don't miss it too much. And at the price I got, I would still sell it today if I had to do it over again. One day I wouldn't mind getting another but would probably get a wagon. I am obsessed with wagons. E39 touring, Volvo 850 T5-R, 510, VW squarebacks, etc. I want them all :D

Arne, Love that E21 323! Dual exhaust :) I assume you did that yourself? Looks factory.

I like wagons too! Volvo 240 turbos and 955's are fav's, haha:D! I remember drooling on your 510 a while back when it was for sale too!

As far as BMW's go, Just sold my E30 M3 in Dec '12 and miss it, a well-balanced machine to say the least. A few 2002's in the past including a 73 2002tii which was a great driver. Not much into the newer ones although very, not visceral enough as the Datsun's for me(or early Porsche 911's which are my all time fav!)

Nice to see some early BMW lovers:classic:!!

post-16909-14150818594457_thumb.jpg

post-16909-14150818594722_thumb.jpg

I like wagons too! Volvo 240 turbos and 955's are fav's, haha:D! I remember drooling on your 510 a while back when it was for sale too!

As far as BMW's go, Just sold my E30 M3 in Dec '12 and miss it, a well-balanced machine to say the least. A few 2002's in the past including a 73 2002tii which was a great driver. Not much into the newer ones although very, not visceral enough as the Datsun's for me(or early Porsche 911's which are my all time fav!)

Nice to see some early BMW lovers:classic:!!

I'm a wagon, hatch and E30 M3 lover as well! My buddy had an '88, what a blast that car was.

I LOVE the Volvo P1800 wagons, but that would be like having another Z...

Yes, very cool cars! I'm imagining a P1800 wagon with twin Webers, Panasports and nice exhaust...

I've owned several older BMW's and still have an '87 E30 and the daily driver '76 2002 with the '91 m42 I built a few years back (one of my practice cars for building my 240Z pretty soon). We've had 735's and a 635, and we have a 2004 MCS also. I started picking up older bimmers because they were really easy to work on myself, very solid and reliable if cared for, and I simply prefer RWD. We've put mega miles on them all. The 635 with its long nose always made me wish for my Z to be more solid like the bimmer, but not so heavy, so I cut it up, and the 3.5 straight 6 and all the guts are going into the Z (a slight tribute to Albrecht Goertz, if that doesn't offend any Datsun purists, bestofbothworldsyouknow) as soon as I get a few more projects (building house myself) done. I will literally build it from the ground up, wheels first, this time. Actually, the E30 325e with 5 speed is decent mileage and just a generally decent car, which we used for our kids to drive. My son still drives it, but the 2002 was his high school car with the carbs and distributor until it blew and I rebuilt it with electronics, FI, 5 speed, LSD, rack and pinion, etc., and I drive it all the time without a problem. It might be a little better competition for a 510 now! I've kind of moved away from BMW now mostly because it takes a long time for the newer designs to appeal; newer ones are laden with too many systems to deal with as they age, and fuel economy is an issue, but I do see a really pretty one once in a while. My next and last car will likely be the 1970 Z I've been holding onto for about 20+ years, waiting for my opportunity. My first personal car was a 1970 240z when I was 19 and dating the cute girl who has been my wife of 30 years, now, so fond memories, and the Z has always been the best car I have ever driven for sheer enjoyment, and I've had many sports cars in my life, so updated sort of "bimmer" style, I expect it to be the very personal car Z's have always been. Sorry for the long note, but it's a favorite topic of mine. Enjoy! Oh, Arne, love the e21 323! ;)Just saw a lovely 320i this past weekend, now I would grab one if I could!

Edited by alternativez

Looks factory because it was factory. All E21 323i came with duals like that. Pretty much the first thing most people noticed about the car.

I've got a 2010 E93 as my "regular" car. Prior to that had a Audi A4, and much prefer the BWM, feel much better, more solid, better planted, etc.

Regarding my Z, even though I have a low mile example, I believe all cars are made to be driven, and never feel guilty driving it. In fact, you should see how dirty it is right now ;) Even though I am pretty loyal to my cars (I have a hard time selling them), if it got hit, I would get it repaired, or get another if repair was not possible.

I had a really nice 88 M3 and several 2002s. I still have a 72 2002tii and 74 2002turbo.

Chuck

I have owned several BMWs...In the past I have owned every generation of 3 except the latest, including an 2004 M3 convertable. Loved the car..HATED the SMG...

I also loved the 635 Ci ...white with Gold BBS' so 80's.

Currently I have a 1994 840C...probably my favorite so far; very few made, nice V8 and 5 speed auto...

post-13985-14150818861747_thumb.jpg

We used to have -02 320D stw, it was a very good car to drive, with sport suspension and all the nice feats. BUT it was very expensive to upkeep (2000$ worth of repairs in FIRST month we drove it) so after 9 months (and 20.000 kilometers) we changed it to diesel 2004 Corolla. Its slow, and ugly but reliable as hell.

I had a really nice 88 M3 and several 2002s. I still have a 72 2002tii and 74 2002turbo.

Chuck

Yeah baby! Those are def keepers;)