IGNORED

Does anyone make new gas tanks? How much would you pay for one?

Hardway

I wasn't sure where to put this so I thought it would get plenty of traffic here. Pretty much as the title states. I continue to read threads about members efforts to restore their 40 year old fuel tanks and or track down a used fuel tank. I have looked around at all the vendors and no one seems to offer new fuel tanks for our cars. Seeing that the fuel tank is not only a key piece to the operation of a car but also the safety of it I believe a stronger focus is needed here. If a new properly fitting and correct looking tanks were available, how much would you pay for one? Gas tanks for all kinds of American muscle cars are currently reproduced and offered at reasonable prices in my opinion ($200 - $400). Has anyone already investigated asking any of the major parts houses about having new tanks made for our cars? Just curious here as I see a potential opportunity to help all of us.

My own experience is:

1. It was easy to drop the tank and clean the whole thing up inside and out.

2. There's no shortage of tanks lying around in junk yards here

3. Several other tanks are available, i think someone said RX7 and Miata tanks fit but dont take my word for it

4. Fuel cells are available for the hard core

But thats me, maybe its hard for you to find a replacement junk yard tank in Texas

Which of the three tanks are you talking about? There are the 70-74 tank, 75-76 tank, and 77-78 tank. The 75-76 tank would fit all years and provide baffles for the fuel injected Zs, but I believe it has a different fuel level sending unit. I'm not sure whether or not the early sender would work with it.

It's not a one-size fits all. Just look at the effort esprist goes through to get parts made and marketed. Unfortunately, the Z was a relatively low volume car compared to most of the muscle cars. It's not an effort for the faint of heart.

I was surprised when I looked up repro fuel tanks at GasTanks.com. Surprised at the relatively low prices (like you mentioned, Hardway). A repro Porsche fuel tank is around $750, in contrast. I would imagine if there was enough demand that a repro would be manufactured given that the only other choice currently available is a reconditioned junk-yard tank.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I would be looking at have all 3 style tanks made since there are people performing true restorations. Good points on the price vs. demand. I know some other parts houses that gave reached out to businesses to have parts made. I will see what I can come with for us.

There was a thread over at hybridz.org where there is an aluminum tank available. They are made to order and fit with stock mounting points. If I remember right the price was around $600. not cheap but an option. Here is the link: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/96955-a-“stock”-fuel-tank-solution/

Thank you! I was just looking around for that thread, to link it here...