IGNORED

Coating brake calipers and rotors/drums

Rich1

I have used that kit before. I wouldn't exactly recommend it but it gets the job done. It started to peel off after about a year. You have to brush it on instead of using a spray can, and it's not as smooth looking compared to the finish Mike W has on his.

Chase

The G2 product that I mentioned above is a 2 part epoxy paint that you also brush on. Once mixed you have about 3-4 hours to finish the job which was plenty of time for 2 complete coats.

They came out very nice and although I have only had them back on the car now for a few months, I have not seen any signs of degradation of the paint itself. So far, so good.

Mike.

Paint insulation is negligible in this case. It's like peeing in the ocean...unless you are either Paul Bunyan, or painting with asbestos, it won't make a difference. LOL

Edited by cygnusx1

Thanks Chase & Mike W for the feedback. Reading Amazon review, most customer recommend to buy better bristles brush and not to use the brush comes with the kit.

Other reviewer mentioned G2 is more durable compare with this Dupli-color.

I have used that kit before. I wouldn't exactly recommend it but it gets the job done. It started to peel off after about a year. You have to brush it on instead of using a spray can, and it's not as smooth looking compared to the finish Mike W has on his.

Chase

Thanks for all of the responses...

Another option is to just replace these 40 year old pieces with rebuilt calipers and new rotors. Anyone tried the slotted rotor upgrades from Motorsport Auto or Z Car Source?

Edited by Rich1

The additional heat insulation provided by caliper paint is probably not measurable. I've noticed no difference with an IR heat gun shooting painted, bare metal, or rusty 204Z front calipers - although I wasn't specifically testing for that. With controlled testing you might be able to show a difference but, IMHO, its not significant. On a race track the front calipers got so hot that most paint just cooks away (I've seen 800 degrees after a 1 hour track stint during an eduro). Same is true with the rear aluminum drums if the brakes are adjusted properly. For a street driven car its not an issue.

John,

The real test is in how long it takes to the heat to get out, not how hot they get. I would test each at 10 minutes 20 minutes and half an hour. The hypothesis being that it takes longer for the heat to get out of the painted caliper. I agree though, on a street car it isn't an issue.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Let us hear from you if you have had your calipers paint for more than two years - is it holding up - what brand did you use - would you do it again?

I used the G2 kit on my Mazdaspeed3 daily driver and it's in great shape after three years, including one track day during which the front calipers got hot enough to scorch off a vinyl "mazdaspeed" sticker I had applied over the paint, but the paint itself has held up perfectly. It is black paint so it probably shows wear/damage less than a brighter color would, but as far as I can see it's been a great product.

That being said, I do not plan on painting a set of calipers again. Cleaning old grungy calipers on the vehicle is just too labor intensive & messy. I suspect part of the reason my Mazda's paint has held up so well is due to extensive cleaning and prep. For my Z it's a different story since everything's coming apart, so the calipers will be sandblasted and powder coated like my other suspension parts.

Edited by bacarl

• 2 months later...