IGNORED

Long time member, new job with DIYAutotune.com

billyjarrell

Hey guys/gals. I just wanted to drop a line and say HEY ! After being away for a little while. Unfortunately I had to sell the ol' Z recently. ( actually I traded it for a Volvo :stupid: and sold my E.F.I. equipped 72' Celica too :cry: ) in order to move me and the family out of state.

The good news is that shortly after hitting the ground here in Georgia, I landed a job on the Tech Support staff at DIYAutotune.com. ( http://www.diyautotune.com, if you watch the photos at the bottom, that's my Orange 280 Z ) Most of you probably already know us, but in case you don't DiyAutotune.com develops , builds, sells the MegaSquirt brand of engine management systems, and I'm sure you have seen at least one Z with a MegaSquirt system somewhere.

As the only Z fanatic on the crew here, I figured I'd post something up to say HI and let you know where I'm at.

My questions to you guys are:

If you're currently running a MS system on a Z, do you have any input or suggestions for future development?

We are constantly coming out with new systems and even have quite a few "plug-n-play" systems in the works. Is that something you guys might be interested in?

If you need any assistance or have any questions about using the MegaSquirt on the Z's just hit me up at Billy@diyautotune.com

There aren't many MS Z's on this forum. I believe Pomorza (?) MegaSquirted his and is pleased with the results. I will probably do a MS install on mine someday and am very pleased that the DIY folks have a Z guy on staff.

Although I have no input with regard to an existing system, I do have some input with regard to what I would like to have in a MS system. I would love a drop-in ECU replacement, leaving the clunky old hardware under my hood. This may sound strange, even insane, but I really enjoy old engines in their most original state. Otherwise I'd have some sort of 24 valve VVT inline 6 configuration -- like the Z3 I sold a while back. The open-loop, vane-type AFM systems from long ago are an important part of automotive evolution, and I'd like to preserve mine as a working example.

I can imagine others might want a drop-in ECU replacement for another reason: Our analog ECUs seem to drift in their calibration. Most of the drifting ECU problems seem to with the '78 Z's for some reason, but perhaps those were just the most numerous. There seems to be a pattern that they get leaner and leaner over the decades, requiring the addition of resistance in the coolant temp sensor circuit to compensate. Although I modified my system thusly, this is a rather scary step for most Z owners. I can imagine that a drop-in ECU fix would be very appealing to a lot of people. As many of our AFMs have also been violated, I can envision a package that would include a drop-in ECU replacement and a recalibrated/refurbished AFM. I would think of this as the EFI version of a Z Therapy care package (a couple of nicely rebuilt SU carbs for a 240 or 260).

Edited by FastWoman

There aren't many MS Z's on this forum. I believe Pomorza (?) MegaSquirted his and is pleased with the results. I will probably do a MS install on mine someday and am very pleased that the DIY folks have a Z guy on staff.

Although I have no input with regard to an existing system, I do have some input with regard to what I would like to have in a MS system. I would love a drop-in ECU replacement, leaving the clunky old hardware under my hood. This may sound strange, even insane, but I really enjoy old engines in their most original state. Otherwise I'd have some sort of 24 valve VVT inline 6 configuration -- like the Z3 I sold a while back. The open-loop, vane-type AFM systems from long ago are an important part of automotive evolution, and I'd like to preserve mine as a working example.

I can imagine others might want a drop-in ECU replacement for another reason: Our analog ECUs seem to drift in their calibration. Most of the drifting ECU problems seem to with the '78 Z's for some reason, but perhaps those were just the most numerous. There seems to be a pattern that they get leaner and leaner over the decades, requiring the addition of resistance in the coolant temp sensor circuit to compensate. Although I modified my system thusly, this is a rather scary step for most Z owners. I can imagine that a drop-in ECU fix would be very appealing to a lot of people. As many of our AFMs have also been violated, I can envision a package that would include a drop-in ECU replacement and a recalibrated/refurbished AFM. I would think of this as the EFI version of a Z Therapy care package (a couple of nicely rebuilt SU carbs for a 240 or 260).

If you'd like to keep the "look" of the original L-Jet, then hide the MS in your old ECU case, keep the IAT and MAP sensors hidden, gut the AFM and you're good to go! Nobody would notice a thing.

I suspect most are not interested in keeping the old hardware, especially since most people that go to MS don't do it to stay stock.

Fast,

For the reasons you stated above, I started a ECU replacement project like that back in 1993. My growing business/life got in the way and I tabled it. SHUDDER, has it been that long. Just a few months ago I finished restoring the car it was earmarked for with my son for him to drive. (77 280) and I decided to go ahead and complete the ECU and offer it commercially. I own an electronic design/manufacturing company so this is what I do every day. Last week I finished the schematics and updated the processor to new 32bit version. We use both Arm7/9 cores and numerous Freescale cores on other projects. I chose a Freescale ColdFire if any EE Geeks are interested.

Features

-100% drop in replacment for stock (should be a 10min install)

-Also can run in Speed-Denisty if you want so you can nuke the AFM. I think this will be handy for anyone who thinks their AFM is suspect)

-Realtime data monitoring via USB/Laptop (now you can check the status of those pesky sensors easily)

-You can of course tune it and adjust the map if you want.

-run any size injectors you want to plumb in (within reason of course)

-tune for aftermarket performance parts (cam, headers, porting, ect)

-some general purpose I/O for shift lights, ect. (don't know if anyone really cares about this, but hey, it's easy)

-Will have CAN bus output on an optional connector (thinking aftermarket gauges).

-copy/save/email tunes back and forth between users.

It should be pretty sweet. Iv'e been working on the Windows Interface, and I'll have the board layout done next week. When I get something interesting to show the group, I'll post some vids to garner some interest and solicit some feedback.

I think the market is about 10 units, so I'm pretty sure I'm working for $0.38/hr or less. LOL

Lenny

Go ahead. I dare you! :)

I'ts not set in stone yet, but think $300-$400 for the basic plug and play ECM. I'll offer some options/features as well including a new replacement harness for those that have really suspect connectors and don't want the hassle of chasing down those gremlins. Note: It will look factory, new wires/new connectors and will plug on to the stock components. Sadly, it will probably be the same price as the ECM.

I waffle on offering refurbed AFMs. There are already good sources for these for $200, but honestly, if your AFM is questionable, Just buy the basic system and run with the Map Sensor. For best airflow you would replace the AFM with a straight pipe, but you could leave the AFM installed and wired up, the software will just ignore it. If you do that, you will be able to change on the fly between the two modes which I think it pretty cool. Flip a switch and run map, flip it back & your running AFM.

- project update (board layout is 50%)

Lenny

Hey guys/gals. I just wanted to drop a line and say HEY ! After being away for a little while. Unfortunately I had to sell the ol' Z recently. ( actually I traded it for a Volvo :stupid: and sold my E.F.I. equipped 72' Celica too :cry: ) in order to move me and the family out of state.

The good news is that shortly after hitting the ground here in Georgia, I landed a job on the Tech Support staff at DIYAutotune.com. ( http://www.diyautotune.com, if you watch the photos at the bottom, that's my Orange 280 Z ) Most of you probably already know us, but in case you don't DiyAutotune.com develops , builds, sells the MegaSquirt brand of engine management systems, and I'm sure you have seen at least one Z with a MegaSquirt system somewhere.

As the only Z fanatic on the crew here, I figured I'd post something up to say HI and let you know where I'm at.

My questions to you guys are:

If you're currently running a MS system on a Z, do you have any input or suggestions for future development?

We are constantly coming out with new systems and even have quite a few "plug-n-play" systems in the works. Is that something you guys might be interested in?

If you need any assistance or have any questions about using the MegaSquirt on the Z's just hit me up at Billy@diyautotune.com

Billy,

I'm glad you're doing well in Georgia. Are you going to be at the Mitty? By the way, I believe there is a show & shine set up at Gwinett Place Nissan on May 6. I should get more details at the next Georgia Z Club meeting.