IGNORED

Heater core and radiator?

72240Z

I'm rebuilding my 240Z to send to my brother overseas in Norway. He's not exactly mechanically inclined, so the point is to have everything as little problematic as possible. Generally speaking, I've used Nissan parts for replacement, but I can't get a heater core from the factory any more. Knowing what a hassle it is to get to, I really don't want to have trouble with it. I'm after a quality product. Since it's going overseas, any warranty is pretty much useless. So far in my searching I've found:

$56 from Amazon

$114 from Napa online

$299 from MSA

I won't say cost is no object, and I'm willing to pay a bit for quality, but what I see is a very wide range for presuambly the same product. I figured I'd probably buy both heater core and radiator from the same place. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Devin

Subscribed. I too am after an OE quality rad for my restoration. Mine was boiled and then painted but it isn't at the factory level of quality. The msa rad seems to be a good option, any other suggestions are welcome. Many thanks.

I just purchased a new heater core from Black Dragon for my 75 260Z. I believe they also have them for 240's as well. Both are priced at $99.95 with no core required.

I received it quickly and from inspection it looks to have good build quality and is the same as the one I am replacing (size wise). I have not installed it yet and so cannot speak for the operational aspects of the core, but I'd be glad to update you once it is back in the car.

Mike.

MSA has the heater core "listed" but when you call they usually don't have any. Not even at $299.00.

With some aftermarket heater cores they are the same form, fit and function - but the inlets/oulets may be slightly different shape - which means you may have to modify or replace the heater hoses.. I would rather have OEM - - - but lacking that - - then I would rather have a new aftermarket replacement than have to put a 40 year old heater core back in...

FWIW,

Carl B.

I'd like to hear how the install goes on the one from Black Dragon. I've been out of the Z world for a number of years so good sources are unknown to me. I'd still prefer OEM so if somebody has an NOS piece feel free to contact me.

Devin

FYI i attempted to buy a heater core from both kragen(oriley) and autozone here in the USA. Both were from a company called Spectre and despite having a total of 5 heater cores delivered every one of them arrived rusted and corroded. I checked out Napa and rockauto, they listed the same manufacturer. The manufacturers website even shows the sample heater core corroded so i gave up. I found a local radiator shop that was able to get one for about $85. it looks brand new and they pressure tested it on the bench right there for me. The moral of the story is that if at all possible try an source it locally from a company that actually deals with radiators.

Interesting - our local radiator shop {shop instead of shops - because the EPA /OSHA shut down all the others in the county} - wanted $245.00 for a replacement heater core. Amazing what happens to the price of stuff when there is no competition. Same thing happened to Electo-plating shops around here.

FWIW,

Carl B.

So I've ordered a heater core from MSA, we'll see how it compares to my 39 year old OE one...I just have a hard time justifying using the old core and then having it split. The dash removal is what concerns me most, mine is still mint and uncracked. Anyway I decided that the "weld" lines the rad shop left behind when mine was boiled and repaired don't look at that bad even under the new paint (not sure why these weren't ground smooth)...plus mine has the original small fan shroud so it will be good enough.

Complete dash removal shouldn't be necessary. Post pics of the new core when it shows up, id love to see it

Put it to you this way...it is a hell of a lot easier to deal with now that the entire interior is out than after I put it all back in then Murphy knocks on the door and the old core starts leaking...one step further, this new one had better not leak, LOL.

Anyway I put the order in yesterday but they haven't responded or processed it yet, my guess is they don't have one in stock...regardless when the heater core arrives I'm happy to post a pic.