IGNORED

Door lock parts

Hardway

The locks on my '77 280z are basically worn out inside and out. I tried 2 different versions of the coat hanger wire modification to make my locks usable again but they are too far gone. Both the tumbler cam and elbow are hollowed out on the driver side. Short of welding the elbow to the cam I see no way to fix it. I see on Ebay there is a seller in Singapore selling locks for $60/pr after shipping but do not include the correct metal elbow. I spoke to Black Dragon parts and their locks have been discontinued. A seller has a set of used locks for $65 after shipping with the correct elbows but have no keys and who knows if the tumbler cam is good. Is there anyone that carries these parts separately or carries new lock sets that are ready to install? I checked all the other restoration houses and Courtesy Nissan, no dice.

Did you check at a locksmith shop that still does automotive work ?

That cam can't be welded to the lock plug - it must be a ''lazy'' cam allowing for the rod it's attached to , to be able to move .

Then the key turns back to the 12 o'clock position to be removed.

My car has GM locks from the 80's installed in the doors . They work great and can't be picked or messed with by the factory Datsun keys-

they won't go in ! So what if I have to carry 2 keys for the car ! ;)

Edited by Unkle

Finding in locksmith in the Austin area is tough. I had thought about buying some GM locks as I have bought them in the past for Chevelle's and other cars I owned back in the day. They were much more stout. I may have to make a new elbow for my driver side lock. More practice at fabrication!

The trick is to match the lock mounting ''holes'' in the door . They have specific shapes to accept the lock housing.

The GM locks were already on my car, installed after a B&E . I don't know if any modifications were needed for them to fit,

but they work great. These are the single sided key variety . They use a side bar that clicks in when the correct key is

used, as well as 6 wafers . Double protection ! And they are readily available, brand new , either from GM or aftermarket

from a locksmith. :)

I went to my local parts store yesterday evening with my old lock in hand. We found a set of 70's Chevelle locks to be the best match. Unfortunately the lock cylinder is about 1/16 of an inch to big in diameter to go in to the door. The hole would have to be enlarged and that kind of modification is irreversable once done. I went ahead and bought the locks as they were only $13 for the pair. I still need to fix my lock elbow so I picked up some Steel Stik from Home Depot and I am attempting to build up/replace the material that was worn away on the elbow and add a little more to make up for the worn material on the lock cylinder cam. It says once cured it can be drilled and tapped, we will see. It has set over night and is as hard as rock right now. I am going to use some jewelers files to re-shape the material to what I need. I will post my results later tonight or tomorrow once I can put some time in to it. If it does not work at the very least I need to track down some lock elbows. Still not sure on using the GM locks.

try early 80 nissan sentra locks or 720 datsun trucks. they are pretty plentiful in the junkyards.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Door-Lock-Cylinder-Tumbler-Set-2-matching-keys-/140616439959?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ASentra&vxp=mtr&hash=item20bd649897

i have also seen people remove the broken tumblers and put the lock back together. lock still works

but would be easier to pick. but who needs to pick these locks when just a screwdriver inserted into the lock

strips out the hole in the door sheetmetal. i know because someone broke into my 720 truck this way and

stole a pair of sunglasses.

I've got some GM locks disassembled as well. That sidebar is pretty effective. Definitely a step up in security compared to the original Z locks. If I get a chance, maybe I'll snap a pic or two of the GM stuff...

i have also seen people remove the broken tumblers and put the lock back together.

Haha. That's exactly what I did with mine until I get around to fixing it right.