IGNORED

Z's at the Barrett Jackson auction.....OPINIONS

72 OJ

I went to the Mecum auctions last August in Monterey, and saw a '78 280 that had just been restored by the original owner. New hardware throughout, rebuilt 2.8l from a ZX, rebuilt tranny (her original 4 speed--no idea why she didn't drop a 5 speed into it), "Mercedes" carpet, she had power steering, mirrors and windows installed, upgraded the stereo system and topped it off with a beautiful new paint job and 16" wheels. She showed me the appraisal paperwork..........$61,000! It went on the block the next day, and bidding actually got up to $40,000, but didn't meet her reserve of $60,000 so she's going to drive it for a year and put it back on the block next August.

That has to be the best looking blue big bumper Z in captivity ......lots of mula :cool:.So it is evident that our cars are collectors items,I try very hard to keep both of my 72 orange DATSUNS in top condition ,to me this hobby is my mental health avenue with vast memories .

Edited by 72 OJ

I think the reason she pegged the reserve at $60000 was because that was what she spent on the restoration. It's a beautiful car.....but she should have jumped at the $45000 that the bidding got up to. I can't see her getting anywhere close to what she wants.

But I hope she can for the rest of us....

I am sorry no way in hell that car is worth 45000 dollars. I am actually at a loss as to how would one spend 60000 dollars on one of these cars. I mean I do not blame her for wanting more money, but 45000 dollars for an essentially mildly modded 280Z is just FANTASTIC money. She will never see 60000 dollars in her lifetime.

I'm still unsure of how they did a "frame off" restoration...

You can easily spend $60k on a total restoration, when you have some shop do all the work that is. Labor adds up. Although I completely agree that she should've taken the $45k, she's not going to get the money that she spent back. It's not a 250 GTO.

Edited by LeonV