IGNORED

A big step in the right direction!

5thhorsemann

You're not getting political in the sense that some people will get carried away with on discussion boards, and you are correct that it's hopefully good news for owners of older cars. I saw this yesterday, but I'm skeptical that this is the final word on the subject.

I do not think it is political at all. Ethanol mixes are bad for older cars and at least some newer motorcycles (my girlfriends BMW for example). And it is not really environmentally friendly as it is not carbon friendly to produce, besides making some engines run less efficiently.

First, I'm NOT trying to "go political" so please don't infract me or give me any more points.

I simply think this is a bit of good news for us and our cars, and as usual we won't be hearing about it on the news

http://www.historicvehicle.org/Latest-News/December-2011/2011/12/23/Washington-Nixes-Ethanol-Subsidy

It's been all over the news. And before you cheer for this as good news for your car you might want to read this.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/29/9804028-6-billion-a-year-ethanol-subsidy-dies-but-wait-theres-more

In particular "Ethanol output and exports reached record highs this year, and a federal law assures ethanol a longer-term share of the motor fuel market."

And the tariff on Brazilian ethanol has been reduced by $0.54.

So basically we may just be paying a little more for our E10.

Edited by doradox

It's been all over the news. And before you cheer for this as good news for your car you might want to read this.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/29/9804028-6-billion-a-year-ethanol-subsidy-dies-but-wait-theres-more

In particular "Ethanol output and exports reached record highs this year, and a federal law assures ethanol a longer-term share of the motor fuel market."

And the tariff on Brazilian ethanol has been reduced by $0.54.

So basically we may just be paying a little more for our E10.

I hadn’t seen this article, and thanks for the link. I realize that our government hasn’t seen fit to get out of the business of picking winners and losers just yet, that’s why I titled the thread "A step in the right direction". But as budgets grow tighter and revenues fall with the economic problems we face, there is always a slight chance that someone in the front office will have an epiphany and realize that pure gasoline is the cleanest, most potable, best bang for the buck fuel that the world has ever known. I remain skeptically hopeful some day we can be shed of the E blend fantasy.

Hey, I'm probably the biggest clean-air, fuel efficiency nut on this forum, my beloved Z notwithstanding. Even *I* am happy to see this subsidy go! There's NOTHING good about ethanol gas, considering that it takes about 2 gallons of real fuel to make a gallon of less energy-dense ethanol. This has been the biggest scam perpetrated on us for a long time.

So this is very, very big news on many levels! Woohoo! Thanks for making my day, horseman! :-)

I hadn’t seen this article, and thanks for the link. I realize that our government hasn’t seen fit to get out of the business of picking winners and losers just yet, that’s why I titled the thread "A step in the right direction". But as budgets grow tighter and revenues fall with the economic problems we face, there is always a slight chance that someone in the front office will have an epiphany and realize that pure gasoline is the cleanest, most potable, best bang for the buck fuel that the world has ever known. I remain skeptically hopeful some day we can be shed of the E blend fantasy.

Definitely a step in the right direction. Let the market pick the winners and losers. There is still a mandate to blend ethanol into our fuel though. 11 billion gallons in 2010 and set to increase to 15 billion in 2015 and 36 billion in 2022.

http://energy.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=IssueItems.Detail&IssueItem_ID=f10ca3dd-fabd-4900-aa9d-c19de47df2da&Month=12&Year=2007

Sounds like we won't be getting any less ethanol in our fuel any time soon.