IGNORED

Need advice on this 71 Z

gaZdoc

Had a stock 72 Z with 68k miles that I thoroughly enjoyed but moved on to other sport cars. Wanting to get back into the Z world that I miss, but unsure about a modified version. The car is the blue 71 with a 3.1 stroker (Rebello) advertised in the ad section by jackboxxx. Anyone familiar with the car? My conversations with the owner have been very positive and reassuring thus far, but with my limited technical knowledge on "built" motors and reliability (this one appears to be well-maintained and not excessively "massaged". i.e. no track/drag days), I want to get some input from the community. I do not intend to track the car myself, but do want the extra performance and the 5 speed to enhance the experience this time around. Would a visual inspection and test drive suffice to make a decision with this particular vehicle, or should I heed to to the standard of "every car needs a ppi". Any suggestions for a shop in the San Bernardino/Riverside area that could inspect the car? Please review the ad and tell me what you think! Thanks.

I'd be a bit wary of most modified motors, especially strokers. But a Rebello is a different story. A documented Rebello motor will be both powerful and reliable. If you are after more performance over stock, it would be really hard to find a better motor than a Rebello.

I've never seen Lance's car in person, but there are several here on CZCC that have, and with my personal Z experience looking at his pictures I'd say the car is probably about as nice a non-concours car will get.

I'd be a bit wary of most modified motors, especially strokers. But a Rebello is a different story. A documented Rebello motor will be both powerful and reliable. If you are after more performance over stock, it would be really hard to find a better motor than a Rebello.

I've never seen Lance's car in person, but there are several here on CZCC that have, and with my personal Z experience looking at his pictures I'd say the car is probably about as nice a non-concours car will get.

Having read some of your previous forum entries, I value your opinion greatly. I will, of course, still practice due diligence such as reviewing service records. I have found that certain people in a car community carry a reputation that are oftentimes translated over to their cars. I do appreciate your input.

If that car checks out clear in the usual spots for rust then it appears to be a smoking deal as a driver. I would have bought this in a heart beat but I'm now eyes deep into my near concourse restoration. This car will be gone fast!

If that car checks out clear in the usual spots for rust then it appears to be a smoking deal as a driver. I would have bought this in a heart beat but I'm now eyes deep into my near concourse restoration. This car will be gone fast!

Reviewing the records, it is evident that a lot of blood, sweat, and tears have gone into making this car rather exceptional. Surprised, though, that the brakes haven't been upgraded to match the extra power. I'm not so familiar with the current Z market other than recent ads. Is 15K reasonable for a car of this condition and upgrades? I am anxious for the test drive. The owner has been what I call a "dream seller", very patient with answering questions and responding to emails promptly. In a word.... a gentleman. Further comments and inputs will be appreciated before I pull the trigger soon!

I think the stock brakes on the Z are fine. My 73, aside from a problem that I experienced earlier this year with a bad front bleed and rear wheel cylinder failure, has a very reliable system that provides more than enough stopping power for a street car. If I were going to track days and doing road coarses I would do an upgrade. But for a daily driver or weekend worrior, stock is fine.

Yes and I read through his external page on the car's build...you better buy it asap, the video made me want to buy it as a "stop gap" until mine is finished. I think that is one hell of a deal. As for the brakes, as long as the hardware is in good shape you are good to go.

EDIT: What I did for my brakes was send the calipers off to be totally restored, not just rebuilt. All hardware was torn down and cad plated, they came back looking so nice I won't use the Arizona Z brakes I bought but bear in mind my car won't put down nearly the power the blue car does. That 0 - 100 run looks awesome, I'd like to see how it stands up to my 335i (not exactly stock).

Edited by ollie

Spoke to Dave @ Rebello Racing who said the engine is good for 100,000 miles. Just need valves adjusted at regular intervals, depending on how the car is driven. Thanks for all your responses/replies so far. Keep 'em coming! Heading south for the test drive....... ;vD

That 0 - 100 run looks awesome, I'd like to see how it stands up to my 335i (not exactly stock).

Ollie...I know this little back road behind the airport....Id love to smoke that 335i cut/edit umm compare our vehicles performance.

Edited by jackboxxx

Ollie...I know this little back road behind the airport....Id love to smoke that 335i cut/edit umm compare our vehicles performance.

Let me take the wheel, that would make one heck of a test drive! .... the excitement builds!.....