IGNORED

Comparing Zs to Porsches?

Arne

I think comparing a 240Z to a mid-80's 911 is comparing apples to oranges. As Arne said, there's a 14 year difference in technology, not to mention the different driving experence of a front vs. rear engine car.

Where I diverge from someof you is that I don't really like the way earlier, (Pre-90's), Porsche's drive. I don't find the slightly side-ways pedal position to be comfortable. I do love their raw power, but found while auto-crossing one I didn't like their somewhat sudden transition into oversteer. I was able to control it, but it was a bit disconcerting. The 70's to very early 80's 911's can make a novice driver look pretty good, right up to the point they swap ends... My 240Z's handling seems much more linear and predicable, though it's probably not as fast because of the Porsche's higher HP.

And to be fair, I recently drove a late 90's Porsche, and boy what a difference! Powerful, smooth and predicable. Very nice car!

If the two are to be compared, you have to stop at the long hoods-74? Chrome bumper,no smog. I hate to say it but I think one of these will be in my future. I was recently reading about the boxer motor and they are apparently perfectly balanced due to the opposition of the pistons. They are also much more robustly built. Due to camming and compression, a more or less stock 2.7 kicks out around 210 hp and has big rotors all the away around. You can get a Z there with some modification and probably for fewer dollars. Overall the Z is less temperamental.

Also, if you haven't driven a rear motor car, you'd better be prepared. They are great for oversteer but you had better know that it is coming. 914/6's or Boxters are much more predictable, but don't look as nice.

911's were hand made up to a point. I was told that 912's were 911 bodies that did not pass inspection at the factory (sorry) and were then mated to 4 cylinder motors.

Datsun parts are cheap, cheap, cheap compared to those of Porsches, which has helped keep me in this world, 'cause I'm the same way. Also, in this part of the world, Z's are far less common.

Whether it's a boxer-6 or straight-6, the engine is naturally balanced (in the 1st and 2nd harmonic), so no advantage for the 911 there. I've not driven a 911, but got flogged around in an '80 at an autoX. I prefer the Z, but I can see the draw of the Porsche.

This summer I came across a 1970 911T for sale that was still owned by the original owner. It was a beautiful unrestored car with a light shade of orange left on it. Unfortunately, it was out of my price range, so I went with a 914. They're wonderful cars to drive, a little awkward looking, and very similar to the 911 (only waaayy cheaper to keep). It's definitely a different driving style than the Z, especially when you use them, one right after the other. I see the 914s competing with 911s on autocross days a lot. Often they are better on the track because of the 50/50 weight distribution that the other Porsches don't have.

Here's mine at a recent Cars & Coffee meet

post-24603-14150817100715_thumb.jpg

Chase

post-24603-14150817100011_thumb.jpg

Edited by CW240Z

Well, I'm a porsche and Z guy (ok, I did get the Ferrari before the kids started college but it's gone now) and I could not choose one over the other......Love them both.

The rear engine experience is different, and to compare the later 911's is like others said apples and oranges.

I love the early P cars and depending on the ride I prefer the Porsche.....twisty roads really like a rear engine.

Here's some pictures of the cars, haven't had much experience in the 912 yet but hopefully will have soon.

The 1983 cab was my least favorite.

The 1968 911 softwindow Targa was my favorite....Never should have sold it.

The 1975s middy year was really a nice car, the middys catch a lot of grief but it was a pleasure to drive.

The 1963 356B was a very nice car but just wasn't for me, I'm not a 356 guy.

The 1974 914 was a blast, a street legal go cart. But thats where it ended for me, just a toy.

The 1968 912 I've only driven about 200 miles. It was impressive, on curves it's a monster with out the "slide"of the 911. Anxious to get this car finished.

post-13312-14150817101325_thumb.jpg

post-13312-14150817101653_thumb.jpg

post-13312-14150817126491_thumb.jpg

post-13312-14150817126812_thumb.jpg

post-13312-14150817126936_thumb.jpg

post-13312-14150817127167_thumb.jpg

One other note; to me at least, a 911 should be a coupe. I'm not a fan of cabs at all, and targas barely make it for me due to the lesser rollover protextion compared to a coupe body. AmAzes me Porsche builds a turbo cab but if they sell, then so be it.

One other note; to me at least, a 911 should be a coupe. I'm not a fan of cabs at all, and targas barely make it for me due to the lesser rollover protextion compared to a coupe body. AmAzes me Porsche builds a turbo cab but if they sell, then so be it.

If I "roll" any of these cars, I would wish I was dead afterwards, protection or not. The only Porsche I ever owned was a 914 EFI. The fuel pump failed on it and the Bosch replacement was like $5 or $600 bucks. It was a fun car, but EXPENSIVE to maintain, and not nearly as fun as the 240Z. I likened the 914 to having a teenage son, always the risk of a big unexpected expense everytime it leaves the house. I expect the other Porsche's are the same.

I'm curious, Randy. Why? What about it did you not like?

I should have clarified, but the main reason was it was always giving me grief. It was the most expensive to maintain and after a few weeks of ownership I just didn't like the ride or feel of the cab.

For some sick reason I just love the pre 74 cars.....something about the feel, look, and the ride. The power doesn't even compare to the S or SC engines but I'm not about speed.... (anymore).

I still love the thrill of a quick start and still autocross, but most of my classic car rides are around the mountains and country back roads.....I'm mellowing as I age I guess.....Crap.

To that end, I loved the SC series....almost bullet proof engines. My problems were mostly electrical.

My neighboor had a 87 Turbo (I think it was 87) and the few times I drove that car......WoW! It was scary fast and could get you in a lot of trouble.

The only Porsche I ever owned was a 914 EFI. The fuel pump failed on it and the Bosch replacement was like $5 or $600 bucks. It was a fun car, but EXPENSIVE to maintain, and not nearly as fun as the 240Z. I likened the 914 to having a teenage son, always the risk of a big unexpected expense everytime it leaves the house. I expect the other Porsche's are the same.

I think the beauty of the 914 is how cheap they are; they're just little VW beetles with Porsche badges on them. The 914 truly is the "poor man's Porsche." I drive mine to shows and events and it has always been a great dependable car. The only downside to them is the rust issues since most were not stored properly. The 914 is a different driving style, but I wouldn't say it wasn't as fun as a Z especially around a track.

$5-600 for a fuel pump? Must of been made out of gold.

Chase

I only considered coupes. Targas and cabs do nothing for me. If I feel the need for open air motoring, well, that's what my motorcycle is for.

Randy, a preference for the long-hoods (pre-impact bumpers) is not sick, it's totally understandable. I just didn't feel I wanted to spend that much right now. Power and speed had nothing to do with why I ended up with a 3.2 Carrera. If I was that concerned with going fast, my 240Z would not have been bone-stock.

No, in the end, the difference between the 240Z and 912/911 is the same as it was when they were new. Both are nice cars, and while different, they are both fun to drive. But then as now, the Datsuns are far more affordable to buy and maintain.

When I was buying my Z I looked wandered briefly over early911sregistry.org to see what an early 911S might run...it seemed $50k for an S was common place, plus restoration and you are quickly north if $100k so the Z deal closed...300+ hours into the body at a restoration shop later plus plus plus....the 911S is starting to sound like a decent buy, LOL. Having said that, the same level of resto on a 911 would have cost at least 3x what I will have in the Z.

Edited by ollie