IGNORED

74 260z to 280zx alternator conversion - Need help!

1984rampage

I am trying to convert my early 260z over to the 280zx alternator. I have found write-ups for the 240z and the 280z but have yet to come across a definitive write-up for the 260z!

I need to finish this conversion asap because I have work in the morning!

If anyone could lead me in the right direction with this I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

I could eventually tell you, but I'd need to do a little research first. Sorry, it won't be in time for you to go to work.

Found a ride to work in the morning.. Looking to finish this conversion sometime within the next couple days.. Ive done a ton of research but havent found any definitive answer.

If you have any information that could help me I would greatly appreciate it!

Seeing Phil's post reminded me of something VERY important here. Your fuel pump uses the alternator output for power. It is wired between the alternator & voltage regulator. A diode in the right place would keep that functionality intact. Otherwise your fuel pump will be hot all of the time.

Thanks for the links, they helped me alot.

Got the alternator wired up the way I felt it should based on the threads linked and wiring diagrams and I am having a slight issue.

Upon start up the alternator doesnt charge but if I rev my engine to around 3500 rpms it kicks on and charges from there on out.

Any suggestions to why I have to rev the motor to get the alternator to start charging? And what could I do to possibly fix this?

Does the Charge light turn on when you turn the key to On, before you start the engine? Sounds like the Lamp terminal is not connected to the Lamp wire from the harness. That wire provides the initial current to magnetize the alternator so it will start charging immediately. Find the wire from the Charge Lamp and connect it to the L terminal n the ZX alternator.