IGNORED

Fun at a Drivers edge track event this weekend

steve91tt

If your problems are during transitions, then you must make sure you have good dampers, assuming your alignment settings aren't way off. If you're running something like Tokico HP or Illuminas, you will want to ditch them as they are not designed for high spring rates like yours. However, what you're describing seems to be understeer issues. You need to make up for a lack of front end grip.

More caster should somewhat help, but an LSD can exacerbate the issue (depending on type of LSD) since locking the drive-wheels in a turn will tend to make you go straight. However, certain combinations of parts could give terrible results, and others great. Adding just a rear bar will tip the cornering balance towards the rear, but it also further unloads the inside rear wheel resulting in less traction when accelerating out of a corner. If you already have rear traction issues, this could be a problem. You then add the LSD to solve the problem, but that will also change the dynamics of the car's behavior as described earlier. And so on...

Definitely add the rear bar and see how it feels. My Z is very similar to yours, since I run a stock front ARB and no rear, and open diff. I've been considering adding the rear bar for autoX as I need more rear cornering stiffness and I don't have serious traction issues yet.

Edited by LeonV

My alignment settings are as follows...

Camber =-3.5° F and R

Caster = 3°

toe = 1/16" out

ride height = 5.5"F 6.0"R

I am running Illuminas on setting 4 all the way around. I think you are right, Illuminas are pretty much maxed out on my springs.

Traction is definitely an issue as I'm having to feather the throttle from apex until I get the wheels pointed down track on every slowish turn.

I have an clutch type R180 LSD out of a 06STi sitting in my garage waiting for adaptors from BetaMotorsport. That should help track out but if I understand you correctly turn in will suffer further. Hopefully the sway bars and a bit of tuning will balance things out but time will tell.

My alignment settings are as follows...

Camber =-3.5° F and R

Caster = 3°

toe = 1/16" out

ride height = 5.5"F 6.0"R

I am running Illuminas on setting 4 all the way around. I think you are right, Illuminas are pretty much maxed out on my springs.

Traction is definitely an issue as I'm having to feather the throttle from apex until I get the wheels pointed down track on every slowish turn.

I have an clutch type R180 LSD out of a 06STi sitting in my garage waiting for adaptors from BetaMotorsport. That should help track out but if I understand you correctly turn in will suffer further. Hopefully the sway bars and a bit of tuning will balance things out but time will tell.

Exactly. Alignment specs look good, looks like you're using camber plates. You can get more caster with adjustable TC rods and modifying the upper strut mount. Definitely replace the Illuminas with something more well suited for your rates. You can also try dropping the rear to reduce understeer.

Steve, I am the "other" 240 Z that runs with Drivers Edge. Rick has probably mentioned me to you. I was at TWS in October

, I thought I might see you there. I will be at MSR Cresson on Dec 3 and 4. Maybe our paths will cross soon. I run in the red run group. I hope to see you soon.

Edited by WW2Winger

Rick did mention another 240z. I believe there is a photo of it in the slide show on the front page of the drivers edge web site. He said it had a skyline engine in it and a bunch of suspension work. Is that you?

I was planning for cresson in december but the stars didn't line up. I will be doing the January event however. Hope to see you there. Since you are in red I would love to get a ride!

I'm still in the very steep part of the learning curve when it comes to both track driving and setting these cars up to run them on the track. I would love to hear a little more about the car setup you are using to be successful at TWS and Cresson. I've been reading old posts both here and on HybridZ but there are so many variables to consider and lots of opinions on what makes a Z go fast. I love reading posts from the folks that have "been there and done that" so I can start to sort the fact from opinion.