IGNORED

Fun at a Drivers edge track event this weekend

steve91tt

We had tonnes of fun at the Driver's Edge track event this weekend at Houston MSR. I started the day in the blue run group but was given a battlefield promotion to yellow part way through the event.

post-20531-14150816858643_thumb.jpg

I asked an instructor to take me around the track in my car during the instructor run group.

post-20531-14150816859037_thumb.jpg

He was able to pick his way through the field, passing some much newer cars. I was pleasantly surprised how my little car kept up. I just need to figure out how to drive it like he does!

I got to play with a highly modified Caymen R. I kept right on him for 5 laps until he finally waved me by.

I know DE events are not actually racing but it sure feels great to keep up with the much more expensive cars.

Edited by steve91tt

Very nice. That's when an S30 is at it's best. Yours seems to love the corners, got slicks? I could almost feel the G-force in the video. Thanks for posting the video. Oh, that Caymen needs to learn some lines...

Edited by cygnusx1

The tires are 205-50-15 Nitto NT01's. They make a great, inexpensive track tire. According to the iphone, Harry's lap timer app I was running right around 1.0 g's in the corners all day long. I've used these tires for 8, 25 minute track sessions at Texas World Speedway, another 20 or so sessions at Houston MSR and about 1000 road miles. They still have some life left in them. The car itself has a stock L24 with 44 Mikuni's running on 250/300 F/R coilovers. Stock roll bar in the front and none in the back. Stock R180/4-speed. The Cayman in the video was also running coilovers on NT01's with engine mods. This was only the third run of the day so I'm pretty sure the Cayman wasn't familar with the track. Even so, it sure felt good to park it in his trunk on every lap after being blown away in the straight. :)

I totally agree. I want to get a nice matched set of bars for my car. Either energy suspension, or MSA kit. But as you know we need to do some work to even mount a rear bar. I am looking for a complete kit to mount the rear bar and a front bar. I already have a set of tokiko springs and struts that are more than a match for my all season bridgestones. I will follow your threads very closely from now on buddy!

The car seems to grip like crazy in the long sweepers. The problem I'm having is in the transitions. The old girl just does not like to respond to weight shift very quickly. The tighter the turn the more she struggles. I can cure some of it by keeping weight on the nose with trail braking but on the tight stuff I have to enter slower than the other cars to avoid understeer and exit slower to avoid excessive wheel spin. I'm hoping the bars, LSD and a little more caster might help. Any other suggestions are very welcome.

Yeah, try some toe out up front. Try 1/8" toe out. It makes my 240Z transition like a go kart. I also use pretty large sway bars front and back, and poly everywhere.

You will find a lot of 240Z racers run no rear bar, but I find that it neutralizes the car a bit (on the street). Normally, with understeer, you want less front bar...or more rear bar.

Edited by cygnusx1