IGNORED

Restoring 240z front panel

Reverend

There must be threads about this but im a lazy arse so i start a new one. I removed front panel from my 240Z and now planning to restore it the best i can. Chromes from the side are okay but the texts have turn to green and there is green spots here and there.

With what should i overpaint this? Did it originally have gloss, semi gloss or matt paint? Should i prime it first before actual paint? Have never done this with plastic.

Valokuva0370.jpg

I used Fusion plastic paint on the centre console. The heater control panel was ok.

For refreshing the heater control panel:

Remove the wire control assembly in the back along with the knobs (screws underneath) then try cleaning yours with a scrub brush in the sink.

Follow up with black marker to spot out the chrome flecks peeking through and use 3M or similar plastic polish on the chrome.

• 3 weeks later...

Silver sharpies work pretty well, but don't have the same glossy luster of the chrome plate... I recently came across a rustoleum rattle can silver/chrome that looks quite good when dry-I wouldn't be surprised if you could find similar in a store near you. As to it being rattle can, and the issues of masking everything? Spray a good amount onto a piece of cardboard and use a small paintbrush to apply...or look for a chrome paint from a model making supplier (Testor's Paint would be good, if it's available in Finland)

(edit)

EScanlon found a suitable silver nail polish some time back. The polish dries uniformly without brush marks, and the unit can easily be touched up (if needed) without any prep, other than cleaning.

Perhaps a trip to the cosmetic counter is in order?

Edited by zbane

LOL perhaps i should try that nail polisher, luckily i can use my wife to get that :P My garage is quite cold now (only few degrees plus celcius) so should i paint it somewhere warmer? Also a bit OT but im also about to paint my radiator but how ye paint rows properly? I mean like i cant sand it, so should i sandblast it or what? I have sanded the upper and lower tank but the rows are a bit dirty looking