IGNORED

wich head-block combination ?

mike260z

hi everyone im building an early 260z

i have 2 engines:

1. L24 with E88 head

2. L28 with P90 head & F54 block (flat top pistons)

i want to go NA, wich combination is better?

i downloaded L-Series Engine Builder ( http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/enginemodellingsoftware/index.html ) is this program right with this set up ?

Block -> L28 Overbore - > 0.060

Rod - > L24 Crank - > L28

Head - > E88 Piston - > L28 Flat

Gasket - > Std Fly cut - > 0

Compression: ¿¿¿ 14.24:1 ????

what else can i do? head shave, port and polish, 3 angle job?

please point me in the right direction, thanks!

Are you wanting to do a destroker, and why? The difference in potential redlines is negligible and you'll make less power by losing displacement. If I were doing it I'd use the L28 crank, the L24 rod (better rod/stroke ratio), and a piston that doesn't come up over the deck. I believe the piston issue is why the calc says 14:1 compression.

If you just used the L28 block, crank, rods, and pistons and threw the E88 on there I think you're looking at about 10.5:1 down to something like high 9's. There are several different E88's out there, not sure if they all have the same size chamber.

It would help to know what e-88 head you have. Like Jon said there are 3 different e-88's out there that all have different combustion chambers. The later e-88's aren't that great and I have read of detonation issues using those heads. The earlier versions are similiar to the e-31 and would be a nice head for a higher compression N/A. I stuck with my L24 with the earlier head, but displacement is your friend for HP. Make your choices carefully and I think you would be happy with any L engine engine as long as you use the right combination and tune it well.

ight I also suggest you go to Hybridz and check out the FAQ section on heads. There are some extensive threads on heads and their descriptions.

Edited by madkaw

You could go stock EFI with the F54/P90 combination and be pretty well guaranteed of a good running 280ZX power-level engine, with the engine harness, ECU and AFM from a ZX (75-78 Z parts would probably work also).

The 2.8 is 17% bigger than the 2.4. More power. Even with carbs.

Sounds like you're trying to mix and match 2 blocks and 2 heads for some benefit. There might not be any. Even with the E88 for higher compression, I think that you would lose overall from the smaller valves. If you don't want to go with EFI, the F54/P90 combo with carbs would still be pretty potent, relatively low cost and fewer problems since the parts are already matched and working together. I assume, unless you're rebuilding the engines. If you're rebuilding, there's probably a better combination of parts out there.

im rebuilding engines

i have one 280zx (the F54/P90 with carb) wich i only bought to fix/sold

and im keeping the 260z (L24) thats why i have the chanse to do the engine combination to put it into the 60, but probably it would be better to keep the L28 (F54/P90)

what should i do ?