IGNORED

New owner of a 78 coupe

$1000 worth of Mac tools? That would be one set of 3/8 sockets and about seven wrenches, right? LOL.

Yeah yeah yeah....he simply told me how much he had in it. Between the tool box, bunch of wrenches and sockets in drawers, and then he has a air tool kit in there as well. Besides the point really.

One thing I would recommend, if it hasn't been already, is to replace ALL vacuum lines! Those lines are all brittle and cracked I'm sure of it. It's not that bad looking...Iv'e seen people restore Chevy's that had tons more rust, etc. Keep posting progress. Glad to see another 280 saved!

Goodluck and I'm sure you'll find memorable hours working on your zee! We all know that patience is the key to a worthwhile endeavor. I got my '78z cpe(hunter green) w/ 40k and needed a lot of replacements too, and I'm glad that there are resto websites/stores around CA. It wasn't a walk in the park, but with resolve you can do it.

To update you all, I ordered a new fuel pump this weekend and am awaiting it to come in. If this is the solution to not receiving fuel, I am thinking I may have a running Z by the end of the week!! I am well aware that this will probably turn my eyes to the next necessary fix. I am thinking at the point that the oil pressure switch maybe leaking some oil. I have a small puddle under the car from the 10-15 times I have cranked the engine hoping I had fixed the fuel delivery issue. I had not. I will let you know when the next news develops.

Jamie

• 10 months later...

Update: I know it has been awhile. Football and baseball seasons sure take up a chunk of time.

Last night I was able to drive the Z around the block a couple of times. It has been a fun journey, I have a long way to go, but it has been a blast. Next step is upgrading the brakes. They work, but are very soft. I have not upgraded them, only did the hard brake tube bridges and rubber hoses and bled the fluids.

Clutch is no longer frozen. Car shifts smooth and runs well for having sat for 6 years. Glad to be back on here! Hope all is well.

Jamie

Sounds good....I think I am a ways away from being able to start any body work. 1) I've been working on the car off and on for about 2 years and simply wanted to be able to drive it. Now that is possible. 2) I still want to button up a few things, safety wise. 3) I've got my first little one on the way.

Truly just wanting to enjoy driving it for a little while. As always, I need to post some pictures...

Jamie

Hey, just saw your post. I too have a '78 - with the 510 blue. Check out My Albumz of my restore..

We'll have to trade some notes....

• 1 month later...

Floors at a minimum. I was going to say rails, too, but I realized on a second look that it's your BUMPER that had pinhole rust, LOL. I'm not that observant.

You're making great progress. Keep it up and we look forward to seeing the results when the shop is done.

I feel all which you're going through, the surprises and emotions of this project. I'm about to take on this same journey. Search my name.

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

Where did you purchase the intake/AFM elbows featured in these pictures?

Edited by AdreView