IGNORED

back fire through the exhaust on deceleration

zdude1967

Thanks for the advice. This is my first rebuild that I have installed myself, so I am not sure of what should be included. If the valve adjustment should not be included then that's cool even better since it indicates I am wrong and not the engine rebuilder. My pride has no problem being wrong, I rather be wrong then question the rebuilders integrity or skill. So with that said the engine rebuilder said the car is running rich as the exhaust smells like gas. Can popping occur with a too rich mixture or does it just happen when you are to lean. I adjusted the floats with the ZT video but the video is showing ball valves I have the old school needle valves and adjusted the float height to 9/16. The fuel flow is off at this height and begins to flow fuel once the float drop from the 9/16 position. Does this sound right?

Thanks

zdude1967

I find it hard to follow you guys thinking it's the engine rebuilders responsibility to adjust your valves after install. They do the machine work, and assemble it, YOU roll it out the door, put it in AND get it running. Adjusting the valves HOT is part of that "get it running" deal. YOUR PART.....

Your builder did it just to get rid of you.

That would be like buying a set of carbs from any rebuilder and expecting the carb builder to fly to your location and set 'em up for you.

If the bench adjustment was so far off that the valves weren't closing and allowing unspent fuel to explode into the exhaust system, yea, theres a problem. The cold adjustment of the valves should be loose (noisy) but the motor should run well enough to get through the break in period at which point you take it to him and he does the hot adjustment. It has no relation to a carb setup, the carbs are flow bench adjusted to a meanial standard, whereas the valves are adjusted to a known set of mechanical measurements. Worst case, the builder should have told Zdude to do the brake in regiment and then come in for a hot adjustment, after all, it's not a track car with a pit crew, it's a classic car with an old fangled in line 6 and a shade tree mechanic/ owner. (No offence Zdude)