IGNORED

Silver Sharpie on Dash Trim

240260280z

I considered the Sharpie too, but I had much better results with a Silver Paint Pen that I bought at a hobby shop/crafts store. As for the Door Panels, if you mask off the area to be painted you can run the paint pen down each strip in single stroke. Let it dry between coats. The Silver Paint Pen is far superior in coverage and durability.

I did one with the sharpie. From 6' away in a garage it is difficult to discern the difference and actually looks better (I even did a test and had two impartial Z friends state which side of a 1/2 touched-up strip looked better) but under sunlight I would guess that the chrome's shine would stand out more.

Edited by Blue

Here's a link to the AFTER pictures of a process I developed to completely re-chrome the vinyl strip on the door panels:

It's not hard to do, just time intensive with the right tools. Unfortunately, it's the shipping to and from that really jacks up the cost.

E

Yours did turn out really nice, but on the 280Z, those strips are much narrower, so it ought to be less noticeable to the average spectator. :) So I think I'll look into the paint pen idea.

On the 280, I just peeled off the rest of the film so that the strips are now grey, but the wood grain still remained. It's not noticeable and looks better than the half peeled off chrome before.

3cdc94d5.jpg