IGNORED

Sealant for intake/exhaust gasket?

kensval

I'm about to put the header and fuel injection system back on my 280Z after a rebuild. I purchased a Fel-Pro gasket set for the job. The instructions say nothing about whether or not to use some kind of gasket sealant with the intake/exhaust gasket. Should I use some? If so, what kind?

A good gasket and a good torquing sequence is all you need. I've been involved with cars for over 50 yrs. and have found that if you do the job right with good parts and well prepped surfaces you will not have a problem. In other words, no you do not need some type of sealant.

All things being equal,240ZGL is correct.However the header changes the equation.I'd use ultra-copper on teh exhaust portion of the gasket ONLY.Let it COMPLETELY dry before firing the car back up and your chances of an exhaust leak drop to nill.

Ultra Copper... sorry, never heard of it. I've used copper based anti-seize compounds in the past, but don't think that's appropriate for this. I did have trouble with the header leaking before the rebuild, but I got it that way and was hoping a new gasket and proper care in tightening everything would avoid the same problem. What to people generally use for a tightening sequence? I was thinking of starting in the middle and working my way out with about 4 rounds to final tightness.

If you can tell me who makes Ultra Copper, perhaps I can find some up here in Canada.

Thanks.

I just completed this same job this week with a new set of headers (from MSA).

I used a sealant by Permatex called Copper Spray-a-Gasket. Worked great. I let it sit for a day before firing the car back up and no leaks or other problems.

http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_sealants/auto_Permatex_Copper_Spray-A-Gasket_Hi-Temp_Adhesive_Sealant.htm

Would use it again in a heartbeat.

Mike.