IGNORED

restoring clear plastic guage covers

timsz

I have my dash out of the car. I thought I'd take my gauges apart and try to clean the clear plastic guage covers. they had paint on them. alot of paint! they had minor scratches also. I tried "goof off" on a paper towel and it worked great. no damage to plastic. I also bought Meguiars plastx kit. it comes with buffer you put in your drill and microfiber cloth. works great also. I have like new guage covers. 71 Z. thanks, TimsZ

I did the same thing. Used Meguiars plastx and used a buffing wheel from Harbor Freight. It turned out so well, I used the same technique to polish the turn signals and side markers too. You have to be careful with the buffing wheel because it will grab the part and fling it.

I find that to polish most plastic on my Z, a buffer isn't required, just a bit of elbow grease.

Used a plastic polish I used for the compass on my boat that I got at West Marine at least 5 years ago. Took me about 1/2 hour to do all the turn signals and side markers before installing them onto the car.

The Maquires stuff is good stuff. Use it on CD's too as the car environment takes a heavy toll. At least here in dust land. Just as some people shouldn't drink, I shouldn't use a buffer, and I've had good luck using, like Oiluj, good old elbow grease.

Chris