restoring clear plastic guage covers - Interior - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

restoring clear plastic guage covers

Featured Replies

I have my dash out of the car. I thought I'd take my gauges apart and try to clean the clear plastic guage covers. they had paint on them. alot of paint! they had minor scratches also. I tried "goof off" on a paper towel and it worked great. no damage to plastic. I also bought Meguiars plastx kit. it comes with buffer you put in your drill and microfiber cloth. works great also. I have like new guage covers. 71 Z. thanks, TimsZ

I did the same thing. Used Meguiars plastx and used a buffing wheel from Harbor Freight. It turned out so well, I used the same technique to polish the turn signals and side markers too. You have to be careful with the buffing wheel because it will grab the part and fling it.

I find that to polish most plastic on my Z, a buffer isn't required, just a bit of elbow grease.

Used a plastic polish I used for the compass on my boat that I got at West Marine at least 5 years ago. Took me about 1/2 hour to do all the turn signals and side markers before installing them onto the car.

The Maquires stuff is good stuff. Use it on CD's too as the car environment takes a heavy toll. At least here in dust land. Just as some people shouldn't drink, I shouldn't use a buffer, and I've had good luck using, like Oiluj, good old elbow grease.

Chris

Great timing on the post! My son's z still has some primer overspray from the painter on the gauge faces. I was wondering what would clean it & not damage the plastic. The Forum rocks once again. Thanks.

Lenny

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.