IGNORED

SU Mixture Question

Oiluj

• 1 month later...

I have been thinking of picking up a DC powered O2 sensor lately. I would like one with fast response time that I can screw into a threaded bung I would have welded into my exhaust. I would like to be able to see what my mixture ratio is while I drive. There has to be one that can take a 12V supply in, and send output to a digital gauge. That way I could just run some jumpers from the battery to the sensor and from the sensor to a hand held gauge.

I am going to do a search for O2 sensors that are portable.

The older O2 sensors are voltage generating and will drive a high impedance meter (DMM) directly. The pitfall is they are narrow band and don't provide much info outside the ideal mixture range. Some of these type of sensors have a built in heater and the heater requires power. The newer sensors require power for internal functions as well as a heater. They still output a voltage that is representative of the air/fuel mixture and can be read using a voltmeter. Some info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_sensor and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-fuel_ratio_meter

The easy thing to is buy a purpose built wideband O2 air/fuel meter that is designed to install in the dash of your car as an accessory. The cheaper ones are not too expensive, about $200 I think. Otherwise, go to the auto part store and buy an O2 sensor from just about any late model car and it should do what you want after you do a bit of work to cobble together the wiring to power it.