IGNORED

fuel return line needed?

mbarjbar

What would be the advantage of removing the return line? Not sure that I follow your line of thought on this. I installed an electric pump on my '71 35 years ago and left all plumbing in place. That same pump is still pushing gas to the carbs.

Dennis

Electric pumps should NEVER be deadheaded.(No Jerry Garcia jokes,please)

I wouldn't go so far as to say that, I've done it (dead headded) several times with Carters, Holleys, Faucets and others, always with good results. Note that they were all internally regulated. But, if the return plumbing is all there and in good shape, I would use it.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that, I've done it (dead headded) several times with Carters, Holleys, Faucets and others, always with good results. Note that they were all internally regulated. But, if the return plumbing is all there and in good shape, I would use it.
I'm deadheaded with outstanding results with my Mikuni's.

Deadheaded electrical pumps mean no fuel flowing thru it.No flow equals no cooling.No cooling equals shortened time to the pump being DEAD.Heat kills pumps,hence the reason most OEM's now use in-tank pumps.

"Outstanding" is a relative term.And since you never had a return line hooked up,the word "oustanding" is erronious.If you had a return lne,the fuel delivered to the Mikuni's would be cooler,thus they would run even better.

Bill -

Thanks for the insight with my triple Mikuni's but I'll stick with the recommendation from Todd and Dave on the return setup for my fuel system (that would be the owner of Wolf Creek Racing and Rebello Racing) - thanks for sharing your thoughts though..................;)

those trips probably pull enough gas thru that pump to take care of any cooling needs (and what's not to like about that :-) It also depends if the needle & seat valves in the carburetors can handle the pressure...if they can resist being blown open and the fuel demand & supply requirements are balanced, there's nothing the matter if you nix the return line. My personal opinion is that it's better & beneficial to use one and it's safer too. If for some reason, gas has no place to go back to and must exit somewhere because of a fuel system problem (eg: a hot engine bay), then I'd rather it be allowed an escape route back to the fuel tank.