IGNORED

The official "Post pictures of your wheels" thread

Ptero

My 1976 280Z with Konig Rewind 16 x7's in Gunmetal. Zero offset. Tires are Conti 225/50x16's.

Currently on Eibachs but car needs to be about an inch lower. Winter project will be coil overs and Camber plates.

IMG_20140712_094502.jpg?1433271011831

Edited by Chickenman

Guy: That brings back memories of 1971 240Z . Original color was the same as yours, but I painted it a Pearl Yellow in later years. Color really popped!!

Luv the stance on your car. Mine needs to come down a bit. I'm running 225/50x16 Conti Extreme DW's on Konig Rewind 16 x7's . Zero offset. Nice to see that a 225 will fit that low. Yes it is a tough tires to fit. Guess I'll have to go Coil overs and Camber plates this winter.

I'll see if I can find some shots of my 71 240z somewhere. Might be on slides!! That car handled like a slot car. Full Nissan Comp suspension with Factory Race struts ( Uber rare ), Factory Race springs and Nissan Comp 22mm front bar and 23 mm rear bar. I Auto-crossed it in a Mod class with Goodyear 21x 8 slicks and 3.9 gears. Car was a rocket.... and I swear you had to step UP when you got out of the car. It was that low on the 13's.

Man I wish I still had that car....

Richard......Think hard before you spring for the coil overs and camber plates.....my 4 cars with Eibachs and Tokico's drive and handle almost as good if not as good as the GC's. If you're going racing, it might be worth the money and hassle, but I don't think I'd do it again. The rear sway bar made a huge difference at a low cost. The cars below run Tokico's and Eibach's as well as 205/55/16's. Stance competes with the green car IMO.

post-13264-0-67891300-1433278174_thumb.j

post-13264-0-02058600-1433278210_thumb.j

post-13264-0-44630600-1433278254_thumb.j

Thanks Guy. I have a friend who is a Race Car fabricator with a fully equipped Machine and Welding shop. Good to have friends like that!!  :D

If I do decide to go with coil-overs it will be a custom made set using new thick wall tubing, threaded collars, spring hats etc from PitStopUSA or another supplier. We can build our own Custom coil-overs pretty inexpensively and exactly the way we want. We could even make our own Camber plates, but I may just buy the Techno Toy ones.

I've had fully ride height adjustable cars as Daily Drivers before. Not a big deal for me. It's all about selecting reasonable spring rates and shock combo's. I'm not overly fond of the Eibach progressive springs.  Especially up front. Linear rates are so much easier to dial in. I usually use Hypercoil springs on my cars, as they are excellent quality, reasonable price and have a huge selection that is always in stock at my suppliers.

On the other hand I may just decide to leave it alone. I'm not going to Race it or Track Day it. Car rides pretty decent on the street right now, but a bit too soft of a spring rate up front. It's those danged progressive rate springs. Feels a bit " Lazy "  and rolls more than it should up front.  I do have big MSA sway bars front and rear.  

Edited by Chickenman

Body kit was put on by PO. I don't really like the side skirts and rear valance. They will likely be coming off this Winter. I much prefer the clean lower body curves of the original design. Will keep front Air Dam. Rear spoiler may or may not go... or may be changed out for a BRE style. Haven't decided yet.

Yes, I went with the softest springs available from Ground Control. I wouldn't want to drive the heavy springs on the streets.I still have to dial in 2 1/2 degrees of negative camber to get the 225 50 16's under the fenders......so many choices.....tough to know what works and what doesn't on the street. I personally like the Eibach spring/Tokico combo almost as much as the coil overs. You've got the know how and a friend that knows what they're doing in setting them up.......I had a friend that knew what to do too. However for someone who doesn't know what to do and have the tools to install the camber plates and struts, they can be in for a major headache. Good Luck with whatever you choose.

^ I almost wish I had chosen 205/50x16's. The 225's are pretty heavy steering. Figured I'd have to run about -2.5 degrees camber up front to fit the 225's.

What spring rates did you end up with on your CO's? I'm thinking 225 to 250 lb/in up front and  around 200 or 225 lb/in  rear as a starting point.  Will likely use Koni  8610 shocks. or the MR2/Golf Sport shocks.

Sorry, don't remember the spring rate.....I told him I wanted the softest available for the coil overs. I ran 205 50 16's on one of my Z's for a while.....they were a lot less heavy steering than the 225 50 16's, but were 1 inch shorter than stock....didn't fill the wheel wells. I really think the 205 55 16's are perfect.....that's what I run on all but the green car.....I'll switch that car to the 205 55 16's as soon as I wear its tires out. IMO

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Mike featured this topic