IGNORED

Headers

Pomorza

Hello guys

I know this question has been asked hundreds (if not thousands of time) but. I at the current moment my 280's exhaust is old, and well pretty much getting clogged. Atop this I have a leak at the manifold gasket (which I'm thinking is cause by not only age but by the clogged state of things.)

So I'm planning on replacing my exhaust system. I'm debating getting a header and running 2.5" exhaust all the way back. But here's the $1M question. Which header to go with. I know a bunch of Z people here in Arizona and keep getting different views on which one to get. One side says the 6-1 headers are the way to go. The other end says the 3-2 ones are the ones to go with. They both make valid points but I'm getting lost.

So would someone please advise which one to get and why?

Thanks

Jan

Look at the MSA stuff, it's very good. As for the header, 6 into 2 is just about the same as 6 into 1 because the single 2 1/2 exhaust is going to require you end up with a single pipe anyway. The 6 into 1 has a nice bolt up flange on the end of the header and makes the install a lot easier.

In theory, I believe the 6->1 is better for the lower part of the powerband, while the 6->2 is better at high RPM. Therefore the 6->1 is typically better for street use.

That said, I doubt the difference on an otherwise stock motor is significant. Either will do the job. My personal preference (if I were interested in a header) would probably be the 6->1 MSA, mainly because the 2½" Premium exhaust is built to bolt up directly to that header, which makes the installation of a decent 2½" system relatively simple.

My understanding of headers is the 4 into 1, 6 into 1, and long tube V8 headers make their best power up top. The 6-2-1 or other tri-y designs improve torque and mid-range but don't see the same gains up top. In the case of a mostly stock L28, I think either will have the same or very similar benefits.

To Arne's point, there's a big convenience factor with the 6-1 header from MSA since it bolts to their premium exhaust.

• 1 month later...

Z Train, is that the setup you have? And why do you suggest that, I've been reading all over about different exhaust setups and actually hearing the stock manifold is great and I'm thinking I might keep the manifold and get MSA's premium exhaust to stock manifold setup.

Z Train, is that the setup you have? And why do you suggest that, I've been reading all over about different exhaust setups and actually hearing the stock manifold is great and I'm thinking I might keep the manifold and get MSA's premium exhaust to stock manifold setup.

I have a three inch set up as my car is a 3.1 turbo car.Too big an exhaust pipe hurts performance-IF you aren't moving enough "gas" to utilize the diameter of the pipe.

As to the headers,i would stay with a stock manifold also.Un-less you are tracking teh car,the benefits are negligible and we won't even discuss fitment issues,flange warping or leaking gaskets.

I have a LZ-23 stroker in the wifes truck with a header.I used it because it was sitting on the shelf.The truck was also dyno'd when tuned,so i have numbers for it.I have a L-18 factory manifold all cleaned up and ready to be installed.I expect it to happen sometime around December or so.I will dyno it again and we will have some hard numbers.It's important to keep in mind that the motor was built to live BELOW 6,000 rpm as it's my wifes daily driver.Point being where the motor spends most of it's life(RPM-wise)is going to be a factor in the header/manifold equation.

Question-what's so special with MSA's exhaust as opposed to having a local shop bend you one?

Edited by Z train

Well my Z isn't going to be a track Z that is for sure, so stock manifold it will be. As for the MSA exhaust I've heard good things about MSA and their exhaust packages and I don't know a lot about exhaust so it seemed an easy and good route. However I'd love to support a local shop especially a good one, and if they can install or build a good exhaust setup for a reasonable price. What is a good local exhaust shop?

You mentioning too big an exhaust can hurt performance and that thread in reply to that comment has got me thinking a lot about exhaust, it's such a key part of performance I really need to read up on it more.

Z train,

The only advantage I found with the MSA kit, is that all the parts are easily put on and one could accomplish doing it themselves. It took me a while but then again I was taking my time. It came out to something like $300 with new studs and a new gasket so I chose this path over the local exhaust shop. I'm sure there are a number of good place in Tucson that do exhausts, I'm just paranoid and enjoy doing everything on the car myself.

ThreeHZ,

If you're going to go with the MSA kit might I suggest that when you get it put it all together (pipes) and then put it on the car. I did it this way and it took about an hour to get it all place. The exhaust WILL fit almost perfectly if you use the given exhaust hangers. (the shortest one goes right before the muffler). The sound is also really nice from this kit.

Jan