IGNORED

K&N filter

Randalla

I see K&N makes a filter to fit the standard 240-Z air box and was wondering if anyone is running one and if there is any perceived difference in how it flows vs. the standard filter (the metal one with the holes in it). The K&N is approaching $50 and the OEM type filter retails for about $10. Since the filter is inside the air box there's no eye candy to offset the additional cost. So....any difference in performance at all???

I see K&N makes a filter to fit the standard 240-Z air box and was wondering if anyone is running one and if there is any perceived difference in how it flows vs. the standard filter (the metal one with the holes in it). The K&N is approaching $50 and the OEM type filter retails for about $10. Since the filter is inside the air box there's no eye candy to offset the additional cost. So....any difference in performance at all???

Being in a dusty enviroment,go with the stock paper one.

I have the K&N in my car, but that was mostly just because the paper ones are not available locally.

One thing that I will warn you about the K&N is to be careful that you don't over-oil it! Too much oil and the thing may as well be air tight.

I have a K&N on the SU's of my converted 76 280Z.

If you watch the "Just SU's" DVD from Ztherapy, the former owner, Scott Bruning, said he had a study done and the result was the original air cleaner worked just fine. Maybe Bruce will chime in and offer an opinion.

I like the idea of being able to reuse the filter. As Walter mentioned don't over oil the filter.

Dave Ruiz

Ironically I JUST put one into my GS 400. The car is 10 years old and since I've owned it it's had a slight ping on acceleration. After installing the K&N the pinging is gone. I was kind of shocked. I haven't really gotten on the throttle yet but I'm looking forward to doing so. Also hoping for better gas mileage. For that car the K&N was about the cost of 2 standard filters so it was kind of a no brainer.

Can't offer an opinion on a power or mileage difference, but I just checked the K&N I installed 13 months ago and its still good to go without a cleaning. Prior to the K&N I'd be putting in the third paper filter about now. Well worth the higher up-front cost, in my book.

Chris

I also have the K&N in both my Z and daily driver, (an old 97" ES300). Great product, wouldn't go back to paper. Does require you actually clean and re-oil it occasionally.

Be aware they are not a "forever" replacement and do have a "lifetime". I've found them to be good for about 5 to 7 years max.

I had an Edelbrock oil/foam-type filter on my Mustang that was about 10 years old. It was getting a bit fragile.

As far as I can tell, the paper filters get much dirtier than the foam/oil ones, which is a very good thing. :)