IGNORED

How do you like the front of your Z?

Gav240z

what's your favorite look for the Z?  

261 members have voted

1. 1. what's your favorite look for the Z?

• Original Front Unmodified.
    • Front Spoiler of Some Form.
    • Gnose.

<i>My car is a "REAL" Fairlady 240ZG ( built by the Factory )</I> - Alan

Your car is beautiful. But it isn't simply a "Z" As you point out it is a factory car with an entirely different designation from the regular old "Z" I guess my point is this:

Would it make sense for you to take the things that make your car a 240ZG off in order to make it more like my U.S. 240Z? I think not. You prefer your 240ZG to have those characteristics that make it different from the normal Z. Why then should a regular Z be converted to look more like a race car/foreign market Z (aside from the handling advantages at high speed)?

In my book 1973 240Z's were not originally equipped with airdams, whale tales, rear louvers, or fender flares. Therefore they don't belong on my '73 Z.

BTW, I would classify your 240ZG as what it is, a classic, original 240ZG. It definitely isn't some sort of Frankensteinmobile.

Right ionman, I see where you are coming from. Amen to what you say.

Mind you, I can see the attraction for people to try to make their cars ( not just Z cars ) something more ( to their way of thinking ) than they already are. I guess that's human nature.

Any of the modifications / additions / deletions that I make to my Z cars conform to a sort of self-imposed set of rules that I have made for myself. One of these rules is to try to keep everything "period" correct for the early Seventies period. Hence the 14 inch wheels ( which make it a pain to find good tyres that are not too "modern" in profile ). I also try ( sometimes with more success than others ) to find parts that were available as Nissan "SPORTS OPTION" items in Japan during the period when the cars were current. As far as I am concerned, this makes them legitimate and "correct" to use.

Like I say, its a self-imposed set of rules that I just have in my head.

Your car looks super clean and original. These days that makes it unusual. Thats sure to give you even more satisfaction, and I can relate to your way of thinking.

Best regards,

Alan T.

ionman said:

In my book 1973 240Z's were not originally equipped with airdams, whale tales, rear louvers, or fender flares. Therefore they don't belong on my '73 Z.

they also weren't equipped with mag wheels and wide tires, so I guess we're all stuck with 5" steel wheels and hubcaps too! :( no electronic ignition either. no cassette players (or CD players), or A/C, or armrests, or passenger side mirrors, or halogen headlamps. Headers are out too, and L28's, and R200 diffs and Round Top SU's? What the hell are THEY doing on a 73? Guess we all just have to get back to the basics....No improvements allowed!

NOT!!

Let the Modifications begin!

DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS!!!!:stupid: ROFL ROFL :stupid: :classic: :stupid: ROFL :classic:

Carl, you're being a bit dramatic. As you can see from my avatar my car does have the original steel wheels and hubcaps. It also still has the 5 button AM/FM radio with the requisite single speaker. Paint is still original (not just color, but original factory paint) and I still have the original tire changing kit with tools and nifty orange wheel chocks. I even have removed the dealer installed A/C. Ok, ok, I did make one concession. I installed round top SU's instead of refurbishing my boat anchors. There is something to be said for correcting a factory mistake. Some upgrades that dramatically improve the functionality of the car (or components contained within it) without being a radical departure from original equipment definitely can be acceptable. Would I ever stuff a V8 in my '73? No. In my book Z's are meant to be straight 6's (including 350's). Would I consider putting a 5-spd in my '73? Sure, 5-spds are better than 4-spds for the kind of highway driving I do.

I guess it all depends on where we individually draw "the line" when it comes to how much modification is too much. Functionality is the one reason why I would ever consider some sort of air dam for my car. Shaved door handles aren't a functional "improvement" that fits with the overall history and legend of a Z. Wire wheels? Nope. Not functional. We all have to determine where that line lies and try not to cross it.

Understand this, I would never slam anyone for modifying their Z as they saw fit. To each his own. I only know what is acceptable for me and my Z.

ALL quotes are from ionman

Carl, you're being a bit dramatic

Correct! Intentionally!:classic: :beard:

I installed round top SU's instead of refurbishing my boat anchors. There is something to be said for correcting a factory mistake. Some upgrades that dramatically improve the functionality of the car without being a radical departure...

Some of us put airdams in this catagory. I for one (and I'm not the only one) do notice a significant positive difference in handling at freeway speeds (60-80 MPH) with an airdam

To each his own. I only know what is acceptable for me and my Z.

My point exactly!:classic: :classic: DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS!

As you can see from my avatar, my car decided to modify itself with a bit of dearskin imbedded in the left headlight bucket, and a bent hood and a bent bumper!:stupid: Not a mod I'm particularly fond of, but I'm stuck with it

Haha, only 4cm snow and it is up to your neck!(little sarkasm) It is funny because in North Karelia which is the state/province where my home town Joensuu is located we have finnish snow record(70cm). Is this the Siberia or what?

Couple of months ago I bought a used engine for my bmw and it is just a piece of crappa...I did already get my money back...So I dont really care...=) Well I have been suffering from this deal so much...

Right, my mistake. I didn't mean all original zg parts but remanufactured new kits.

Was the original 70's kit made out of fiberglass or metal?

I think that everyone can do what ever they want with their cars. Personally I wouldn't dare to do any large modifications out of "original" 70's style to my Z or any other Z that is in such a good condition...On the other hand if I had a Z that is in condition beyond reasonable restoration I could do a customized version. By beyond I mean that it is missing so many valuable parts and has body damage etc..But I wouldn't make any 911 turbo look alike with huge spoiler!!Huh..

I think that people that do modifications to good examples should bare in mind that what ever they do it is undoable and that they should keep all original parts stored. After all it is smart if you think about the cars future value.

But who am I to tell what should your nose look like?

Caen Fred

Do you refer to my lines and thougths? Do you mean anti-flare as in case of over heating? My thought was that matt finishing avoids bad reflections which can lead to momentary "blinding" of the driver.

I dont know if I have heard this theory of mine from someone....Could it be the same thing with dashboards on rally cars? Atleast all big league rally cars have some kind of treatment done to their dashboards.....I think the coating was sold in some racing store as anti reflective stuff?!? That is where I base my assumption about Matt black hoods...

I have been as a co-driver on small scale junior rally and our cars were pretty close to original...No matt dash...

Maybe they kept their beer and snacks under hoods painted with heat disipent color in the old days!!=)

• 2 weeks later...