IGNORED

Can someone id this header?

Ptero

It's one of those things where I've got the extra headers and should I bother installing them over my stock configuration. If there is little to no performance gain, it's something that can wait and I can add to my winter to do list.

Define 'improvement'. I've never been one to put a header(s) on an engine unless I planned to do other modifications. Without other modifications, there's really not much improvement over stock.

This is your 'other modifications'.

You don't have to start elsewhere, you can start with the exhaust system if you like.

On all of my Datsuns that I've modified over the years, the exhaust system was often where I started my mods. I was never left asking myself "if that cam had a better exhaust I wonder how it would go?"

I believe that there is some performance gain to be had by adding a header. If you were to use one like in the picture, then I have even less doubt since its a tuned length version. The stock manifold is not and this alone will alter the 'feel' of the engine ie moving the torque band/ power curve around to different rpm levels.

What often happens is a modification is made without attending to any of the other engines' systems ie ignition/camshaft timing and carburettor jetting. The results obtained from just swapping parts isn't the whole answer to the performance question. Your engine will need some tuning if you want to get as much as you can from your (new) combo. Hey, isn't that the reason why we change parts on our cars, for love of tuning!

Do it man, put those headers on, you know you want to.......LOL

I've seen many a vehicle that had no other mods besides a header(s). If that is all that one has planned then it's not worth the expense, IMO. That's all I was saying.....but if you already have the, use them. You just won't see much gain until you've done other things.

Edited by sblake01

When I was much younger and first started playing around with cars, my mates owned a lot of Fords. They started with straight 6's and moved on to Cleveland and Windsor V8's. Whenever they bolted headers to their cars we could see/feel the difference, cause we were all naughty and raced each other on the street to see who had the quickest/fastest car.

"Last week Pete was slower than George but this week, since he's put those headers on....oh boy!"

The increases may not be there on 'other' vehicles that you've seen or worked on but with Fords there are significant performance gains.

Getting back to Datsuns, I modded my car at the same time and found exactly the same thing was happening. That sweet little L series (little compared to the Ford stuff) came alive with any sensible part upgrade but up until a few years ago, I could only talk about it and not prove it.

Then I got myself a stock Datsun with an unmodified L28 and thought, "I'm gonna document every change I make to this engine and dyno it every time to see what my butt dyno feels!"

So, I have a dyno sheet that shows the difference what headers and a nice exhaust make to the L series. The original exhaust manifold and 1.75 inch was replaced by a set of HM39 (Aussie brand) and a 2.5 inch exhaust with two mufflers.

I don't want to shoot my own argument down here by saying that the discussion only involves headers and not the rest of the exhaust but I kinda see it as a whole package really. If you didn't want to upgrade the whole pipe and muffler shebang your power gains probably won't be as much as mine. Still worthwhile?.......absolutely. :laugh:

post-10105-14150815264734_thumb.jpg

Am I reading that correctly? You really picked up 20 rwkw from the header+exhaust? 60 to 80kw? (80 -107 hp) Is it the 65kw (87hp) line?

I remember doing my header/exhaust and remember the immediate improvement in my throttle response. I didn't think I gained that much horsepower but seat of the pants and responsiveness was telling me I gained something

I personally feel the best gains were getting my SU's dialed in, the ZX dizzy, and the exhaust. Make it breath better and spark better. All combined was nice drivability and great throttle response.

:beer: