IGNORED

My new 240Z

Just had to share with you all.

I've just put a deposit down on this little beauty. It's not registered but it should be on the road by Tuesday making for a perfect Xmas present.

According to the owner, Carlos from Sportsclassic Cars in Sydney, it's never had any rust in it's entire history and I believe him as I've been through it all and even had it on his hoist. It's had a bare metal respray not long ago but only on the outside. This has left the original paint in the engine bay, around the doors and all the other usual places. The quality of these unpainted spots shows that it's never had any rust. It's an ACT car so it was away from the sea which helped immensely.

The underbody is straight as, everything original and it's in great overall condition. Well, better than any I've seen so far by a country mile. It came off the production line as an auto but it's just received a 280 or 260 5 speed box. I forget which.

It's a 11/72 model so it's just turned 30 and been classified as a classic. Basically, I'm over the moon with my purchase. :love:

front_left.jpg

left_light.jpg

drivers_door.jpg

Thanks guys :classic:

Originally posted by Mr Camouflage

Oooooohhhhhhh, very nice.

Am I allowed to ask how much it was?

Well, answer me this and I'll tell you how much it was. Would you pay over $10k for it (from the limited information you have)?

Seeing as the other ones I saw were in a different ballpark condition wise but not too far off the price I thought it worthy enough for me to stretch the budget a bit and save money down the track. I was always going to try to own an original 240 either by buying one close to it or semi-restoring one. This one just fell in my lap and I'd have been an idiot not to buy it.

Hoping that I know the answer to be the latter and not the former, I ask.....Are we talking $!0kUSD or $10k AUS ????

It appears from your description and the photo's to be a very nice example of un-molested 240Z, however $10k USD would seem IMHO to be a bit much, on the other hand (if my currencey conversion guestimate is close, $10k AUS would be a bargain these days.

Thanks Mudge.

I just got her home on a trailer. She needs a good clean up interior wise and a major service as it was sitting in a garage for a while.

Oh and the alarm wont turn off once it gets going. I think the batteries in the control are dead.

I can't lock the drivers side door by pushing the lock. I have to use the key. I doubt this is normal as the passeger side is ok. Is there something wrong with the lock mechanism? Or is this normal?

Ozzy It is normal for the inside button not to lock the door mechinism when the door is open, or not fully closed. this part of the lock stops the key from being locked in the car. Is the paint colour in the pictures the cars original colour (Scarlet red 664) with black interior or has the car been painted from another colour to the red colour.

Cheers Steve:classic:

Now you need to take some interior shots and post it in your gallery!

In my opinion, $10K here in the U.S. for a pristine, no rust, no restoration nor fixing required 70-72, although on the High end of a #2 car, it would definitely be in the low ball park for a #1 car.

Guys remember this, which is cheaper, a $5k vehicle which ends up getting $3k in parts and a couple hundred hours of your time or one that cost $10k and it was "done" the day you got it? (Warning; this is a trick question!)

I'll not post the answer as it will depend on what it is you want. Some folks would rather pay now and enjoy immediately, while others would rather do all that work themselves and hence value their "hourly wage" in the negative or zero dollar and see the first car as cheaper. Others have a high value for their free time and therefore would find the second vehicle cheaper.

Congratulations!

Now DO NOT USE ARMOR ALL on her.

DO use a good wax once you are past the new paint job's curing period.

DO use a good rubber protectant on all the rubber and weatherstrips.

And as sjcurtis mentioned, you can't lock the doors (either one) from the outside without using the key.

Welcome to the club! Enjoy the Ride!

And most of all remember this:

Driving a beautiful Z is like dating a gorgeous TALL woman in a form fitting short dress with high heels. Everyone is going to look at you......deal with it!