IGNORED

What type of oil/fluid do you put in the strut cartridge?

Ptero

I've just spent the last two hours searching posts for this very thing as I plan to do this job over the weekend. It's a mistery, I've read used motor oil, lite grease, and none at all (which seems to be frowned upon) From what I've read the benifits are 1) heat transfer, which lends itself to the use of motor oil. And 2) Ease of future removal of the cartredge, where grease wins. I didn't see ATF discussed.

I am going with the grease, and a new O ring and gland nut. FWIW

Pour in a small amount of oil (or grease/anti-seize the bottom of the strut) before inserting the shock prevent it corroding to the strut well's bottom.

Once the shock is inserted, fill the strut cavity with oil then grease the top cap and secure. The oil transfers heat from the shock to the outer strut wall.

It does not matter what oil you use. 10W30 motor oil seems be easiest to grab in most garages that I have done shocks for friends.

Hmmm the only z link to whales I have read is here: http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/zinfo/zfun/carofthemonth/carofthemonth.htm

I took a quick look and couldn't find the posts. It has been several years on this site this was talked about. I guess I'll find out this year when I crack one open the smell is a dead give-a-way.

I've heard older guys talk about the whale oil in the struts. It is the same smell as 150 year old watch that hasn't been cleaned in the past century. Have had the pleasure of this smell many times. It can curl your noise hairs. :)

About 3 tablespoons of oil in the tube is plenty.

I like Blue's changing avatar, he might be our new 'computer generated Piccaso'.

Bonzi Lon

Edited by Bonzi Lon

Some years a go I went to help a Pantera broken on the side of the road, well the diff broke and they were filled with whale oil I almost vomited from the smell of hot whale oil. Well I gave him a ride in the 80' Datsun 210 to a phone nice man he insisted on buying me lunch and a tank of gas hethought it was hilarious when I could only squeeze 5 gallons in. I told him I filled it up that week.

B