IGNORED

Customizing my MSA flanged exhaust

Arne

Congrats! You just joined the group of us who suffered through the same drone-ing MSA kit's trial-and-error solution.

Look on the bright side ... at least your dual vertical outlet looks darn cool!

Well, to be fair, I've heard fewer droning complaints on the Premium flanged system than the earlier non-flanged. Mine didn't really have a "drone", but it did have a resonance period at 3000 RPM where it was darned loud. Similar issue, I'm sure.

I also suspect that had I used a bigger Magnaflow similar in size and shape to the supplied Dynomax, that the system may have been quieter. The small dual outlet muffler is not a quiet one.

On the bright side, yes, it looks good, sounds good and fits good. It did cost way too much. Trying to adapt an off-the-shelf system is fraught with extra expense. I like the rear muffler and tips, but if I were to do it over I'd do that myself and then hand it to the muffler shop to build the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - the removable tips was a great idea! Took them off to clean yesterday. Super simple, works great.

Note to any looking to use this dual outlet Magnaflow - resonated/glass-packed tips are needed on a medium-to-large diameter system. The glass-pack in the tunnel of my car is 22" long, and 2¼" inside diameter. With that glass-pack, the combination of both 2¼" and 2½" tubing, the Magnaflow, and the glass-packed tips the exhaust is good. Nice sound, authoritative, but not too loud. Remove those tips and the volume goes up considerably. It would be too loud again without either the tips or the tunnel muffler.

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread!

We installed an MSA 6 into one header and flanged exhaust kit on the kid's 260 in the spring. (with the ugly Dynomax)

I read about the droning and resonance issues.

I also installed a 2-1/2" hi flow cat, as we have to pass an annual emissions test here in Vancouver.

I also figured it could help with the sound issues, it didn't.

The car sounds great but a little loud for my liking, it also develops a loud resonance around 44 mph to the point where you put your boot into it so that it will go away.

I'm curious how the Dynomax sounds compared to the Magnaflow.

I wonder if a small resonater behind the cat would help.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent thread Arne. Thanks for the investment in time, effort, and $$$ to pull off your R&D of the droning issue. My PO had also installed the MSA exhaust kit that I'm not satified with, and this is a great follow up your other thread (A review of what s gone period 240Z exhausts). Is there any chance we may get an exhaust vid of your efforts?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Arne, my exhaust is getting old and crusty. I'll probably redo it this winter, and will consider your idea. I do really like the way my old one sounds, though. Does anyone know if this dual glass pack combo is an old prefab unit, or something the PO had custom made? It has red paint on the tips, like an Ansa, so I assume its not a Monza. There's a resonator in the tunnel, BTW. Thanks.

post-17507-14150816148242_thumb.jpg

• 6 years later...

Bump on this because Arne went through a process I was looking at in regards to modifying the MSA exhaust with magnaflow mufflers and resonators. I liked the idea of dual tip outlets and the spacing Arne has done, but I too fear the smaller muffler would be too loud for my tastes.

Arne, did this set up use headers or the stock exhaust manifold? I've read that it makes a large difference to the noise. I would be using it with the stock manifold.

I also wonder if there is a good reason for or against getting a matching 4" magnaflow resonator for the tunnel, versus something more generic.

Thanks