IGNORED

Anyone know where this wire goes

zdude1967

I just brought up a wiring diagram and it looks like a wire labeled as to "stopper motor". What’s a stopper motor? But in looking at your photos it looks as if someone has bypassed some harness wires for some reason. The red, blue, and yellow wires they do not look factory. I know little about 74's but those wires look to have been post factory. Could someone have bypassed the yellow wire in question? Also in the diagram it shows an unused wire in that general area but give no further explanation or color. You might want to find a better factory wiring diagram, the one I found is not complete. jlp

Well, I looked at my 260Z with the wiring diagram. The joy of owning a 260Z is in determining whether you have an early or late 260Z. I have an early 260Z. I think some components were moved around in the engine bay between the early & late cars.

The first picture shows my fusible links and interlock relay. They are mounted against the firewall. The second picture is the emergency start override for the interlock relay. It's located near where your fusible links are. The wire for the AC compressor relay is near it.

Anyway, I couldn't find a stock yellow wire with a connector like the one in your picture.post-5413-14150814887799_thumb.jpg

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

post-5413-14150814887143_thumb.jpg

Thanks to both of you. The red and yellow wires are post factory. It seems they hook a starter button up. They hook directly red to positive on the starter and yellow to the starter solenoid. I guess this is why I can get the starter to spin. Perhaps the other yellow wire I am questioning is the original yellow to the solenoid as it comes out of the engine harness and looks to be the right length to hook to the starter solenoid. Is it possible that since Motorsports does not sell the 260z ignition switch that the previous owner bypassed it and hooked up the starter button instead???? Again my electrical knowledge is very limited but from looking over the car, help from the both of you and the FSM I think this assumption is correct. This leads me to think the problem may be in not knowing where that second yellow wire goes...the wire leading from the engine harness and in the photos. I am thinking about either grounding this wire to the frame or trying to hook in it with the other post factory wire to the starter solenoid. .....your thoughts, suggestions etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Most important is what the wire does, when the car is being used. I would check if it's grounded first, using an ohm-meter. Maybe it shorted in the past and has been bypassed. Then see if it is powered at the different key positions, using a test light or a voltmeter. That information will give you more clues about where it should be or was.

Edit - Don't connect it to anything until you know what it does. You could cause a short and burn some fuses, fusible links or wiring if it gets power during operation.

Edited by Zed Head