IGNORED

Best way to take on a restoration?

Threehz

So I've finally got my Z in my hands and now I'm deciding on how exactly to do the restoration. I know a plan is key to doing a right job.

The car was running in '03 however it then sat for eight years. It's in very good shape and I'm hoping once I go through replacing all the hoses and fluids and the likes it might just start up.

I don't plan to do a "restoration" in the sense that I'll be restoring the car to it's factory state. I also do not plan on making it a completely modded car. I love the Z's for what they are but how I see it is, there's lot of mods you can do to improve performance while not spoiling the car's originality, and in one way improving performance is only building on what the car is, a sports car!

Anyhow I want some opinions from people who've done this before on how they go about a restoration. I've never restored a car before so it's a fresh field to me. I've been reading "How to restore your Datsun Z-Car" and I believe that will come in very handy. I really just want to get a feel for what order you would do things in or what steps you'd take first and what things you should wait to do.

Thanks guys!

While never actually completely restoring a Z myself, my friend gave me some good advice from his experiences. He is in his tenth year of restoration on a beautiful orange '71. He insisted that instead of jumping in like a madman and tearing the car completely apart and beginning a 'ground up resto', break it in to stages instead. Keep the car running or in semi complete condition, and restore the car in sections. I.e Kill any rust that's apparent, overhaul brake system one wheel at a time, install new suspension on one end at a time, order new interior pieces as required, etc.

He also mentioned leave paint for last, even though this is most peoples first priority. When you have the car all kitted out with new parts etc, the removal and installation for paint becomes much easier as your not scrounging around for parts (saving time), as you already have everything you need.

The motivation is kept alive this way by regularly driving you beloved, and knowing that there are only X amount of things left to do on your list before she is restored to your specifications. The other way as illustrated by my friend is a garage full of parts and an empty shell that remains a long way off from running again.

Just my 02.

That's about the basic plan I was going for, As for body I want to keep it original, except possibly a non-stock color paint job the only thing I haven't decided is the color.

When would you suggest refinishing the engine bay, as in cleaning it all up, stripping, priming and repainting?

grnsky good advice, I was thinking of just doing a full ground up restoration for a while, but then realized that it would be just sitting around in pieces for a long time and I would most likely lose my passion.

Exactly what I needed to hear!

Threehz. Congrats! Unfortunately, with age of car and having "sat" so long - you should seriously consider a complete "refreshing" - if you cannot afford a "restoration" (which most of us guys cannot afford OEM parts for everything). Now that Z's are old and parts are harder to come by - you need to decide NOW what level of "refreshing" you are committed to doing. Removing parts, cleaning, blasting, priming and painting (POR 15 - if possible) will be standard moves. BTW, go ahead now and find you a donor car (same year or same style) and thank God that you have an "extra" car to cannibalize - you will not regret the investment in the long run. These days a nice street car (not a daily driver but a good weather and local car show driver) will run you close to $20,000 by the time you finish going over the whole car. 5thhorsemann is right - if you decide to do engine compartment do it FIRST then do engine and tranny, suspension, inside and leave paint and as many body seals (as you can) for last. Since the car has sat so long - please do not clean out fuel lines, add new filters and then seek to start it - you will regret it. Presently, I am towards the end of a "refreshing" (a nice street car for nice days - no rainy day driving) and I will tell you - you need more money and time than you think. I believe that if you decide to get it running and driving and try to work on it while driving you will never finish and you increase the chances of a wreck. In the end you do what you want to do. After owning Z for 25 years - the "inexpensive" Z cars of my late teen years - has gone far away. Anything that is over 20 years old is going to cost you to drive and maintain. This is the fun part of owning a Z having to maintain it. But, just like everything else in this world - they all keep falling apart - even in our well kept garages - the sad truth of living in a fallen world. Whatever you decide - enjoy doing it and you have many great guys here who can help you and give you great advice and good links for finding things. Get ready to learn a lot :) while having a good time.

@David that all sounds really good except I'm not sure if I want to get a donor car. I've been debating that since I started looking at the Z. I guess what kind of parts would I really use from a donor car? It seems to me that a donor car's parts would be in the same, if not worse condition then my parts so why? Just for little pieces (bolts, nuts)? (and David I'm not trying to be argumentative just looking for more info)

What I really want to do is take everything out of the engine bay and then repaint that, while everything is out, clean and restore all parts that can be re-used. Then I would like to replace the parts that can't be used with new parts or new performance parts. From there I plan on moving to things like suspension, then interior and finally body & paint.

After I get the engine bay all cleared out I can make a solid assessment of what parts I'm going to need and draw up a budget. Luckily classes end next Tuesday for me which opens up the opportunity to get a second job!

Thanks for all the advice guys and keep it coming!

Go over the car from nose to tail making a list of everything it (A) must have, (B) should have, and © would be nice to have in those 3 columns in a spreadsheet along with columns for source(s) and price(s).

Next, research the parts costs.

Break projects up into sections and by cost so that you have "bite-sized chunks" you can (A) do in a reasonable time, and (B) have the money to afford so the car isn't down waiting for the next paycheck, or two, or three.

If, after summing up all the totals, you feel you can't afford it, either (A) sell the car, or (B) drive it till it drops.

"can't afford" just means not fully committed, and I am fully committed so it's just a measure of how much it will take. Pwd I really like the idea of your 'must, should, would be nice' idea, definitely going to do that!

Maybe someday Blue :)