IGNORED

Installing Choke Cable

Tony_nc

I am trying to install a choke cable on my 73 because it didn't have one installed when I bought it. I took the cable off of my 71 and thought I would install it on the 73. Then realizing the hole that the cable goes through on the 71 isn't there on my 73. Sooo.....

My question is:

A) Is the 71 and 73 cables different

B) Do I have to cut a hole in the 73 to make it work. (Doesn't sound right)

C) The picture with the arrow is the choke cable hole (below the CMC) and I need to find one that will work for my 73. Because it would need to be longer because the position of the hole. :stupid:

I hope this makes sense and any help would be appreciated as always.

post-21122-14150814750523_thumb.jpg

post-21122-1415081475077_thumb.jpg

post-21122-14150814751009_thumb.jpg

I agree with BadDog, if the '73 is like the '74 260z it will be on the passenger side. I only say this because I have seen Vitamin Z's 260z. Since goes through the passenger side, I am not sure if they need a little longer cables or not. I am sure another Z expert has the answer.

Yes, the 73 cable is longer, right at 6 foot, had mine out for a good lube 3 days ago. If you want to use the 71 cable a hole will have to be made on the drivers side, in the same spot as the 71's, use the choke grommet, then plug the passenger hole with a rubber plug.

Or sell the 71 cable and get one for a 73. The 73 will have a bracket that bolts to the valve cover that holds the cables down to keep from rubbing on the hood.

Bonzi Lon

post-22854-14150814787427_thumb.jpg

Don't know how well this pic will work, but that is stock 73 cable location. Don't cut the fire wall for a choke cable, thats just wrong.

You can see the dual boot peaking out just under the hood latch bracket.

Edited by 5thhorsemann

Tony, try contacting Z Barn to see if Roger can supply a used cable for you. A long shot would be to look up a choke cable in the parts fiche link below and see if Nissan has any more. Considering I haven't purchased a choke cable for a 73 from a Nissan dealer, it's a pretty long shot. Z Car Source might have one, but expect to pay more than from Z Barn. While Z Car Source is pricey, they have good service and good quality parts IMHO.

Here is another shot of the choke cables from my 74 260, I've been looking for new ones also and they don't come up very often and when they do they are quite expensive. If you find a good source let us know.

Mike

post-18081-1415081478807_thumb.jpg

FWIW, I moved the choke cables on my '73 to the pre-'73 position when I utilized the original hole for my A/C install. If you remove the firewall insulation (also there is a pre-punched hole in the insulator that hasn't been punched out and it is in the exact place for the hole you need to drill) you will find a dimple in the sheet metal where the hole for pre-'73 choke cables can be drilled. It's right under the throttle control rod mount on the firewall. I found that the longer cables were very stiff resulting in broken levers. By shortening the cables they are much easier to use. Good luck.

Cheers, Mike

Wow, great info as always. I don't like to modify my Z at all but am willing to adjust as needed. I will weigh out pricing and availability. I checked and my 71 choke won't work because of length. Ill think for a few days and then decide. My 73 runs so smooth and starts up so quickly a choke wont become a factor till late fall so I have time.

• 2 weeks later...

As the other replies have stated, the '73 240 and the '74 260 had different choke cables, longer and they snaked around under the dash to come out on the right side of the engine. They were always known for not working properly, stiff and difficult to get them to open all the way due to binding. For several years I tried all sorts of things to get them to work right. I finally gave up and bought a pair of 240 cables and drilled a hole in the left firewall, the same diameter as the cable grommet, and installed them. The choke has worked great ever since. I did this conversion probably in 1978 or 79. I know that alot of owners are loathe to start hacking and drilling on their prized babies, but this is one time that I wouldn't hesitate. It is, in my opinion, the only way to make the choke cables work properly. Just be sure to cover up the original hole or you will get engine bay fumes inside your car!

Does anyone know if a choke cable that feels still can be salvaged? The 1973 I saw at the yard had the cable but it felt stiff when trying to pull it back. If it can be salvaged and put to use I might be able to get if for Tony.

• 2 months later...