IGNORED

240Z chrome taillamp strips

zed2

I would only consider a pair of chrome stips if:  

32 members have voted

1. 1. I would only consider a pair of chrome stips if:

• Priced between $20-30 (before shipping & handling)
    • Priced between $30-40 (before shipping & handling)
    • Priced between $40-50 (before shipping & handling)
    • Less than $90 (before shipping & handling)

• 1 month later...

I have four sets of near perfect taillights, the only fault being that these strips need a refresh. I had some re-chromed it was expensive and not of quality. I was going to send them out again but will wait to see if this comes to fruition.

JLP

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I'd be interested in a pair if under $60.

Also, a minor mystery solved! A couple of years ago I bought a pair of tail lamps from a Z being parted out. Oddly, I bought them because I thought the the chrome was in better shape. Turned out, half and half. I replaced the right side with a "new" light but retained my existing left side light. Stepping back to admire my handiwork, I thought the the color was a little different on the "new" light. Even after using a clear plastic conditioner the 'new' one seemed, well, a darker red. Reading the thread I decided to go out and check and found that the right. darker red light is a 220-24152R and the markings (or rather, lack thereof) match up with Mike B.'s pictures of his 1969's light while all my other lights (two not installed) are the later 220-24166 series.

If nothing else, at least I know that I've not gone crazy.

Chris

Mike

I have a 6/72 car and went through chroming the strips a couple of years ago. I bought a spare set of tail lights and had the strips chromed. I believe the left and right chrome strips are different and not interchangeable. The shop had problems plating the old strips because the plastic was degrading and they came out looking like he chromed over a rusted piece. Apparently he tried several times to fill the voids before chroming but the problem does not show up until the process is finished. I would be interested in a set of chrome strips as well

Bob M

I visited with Kip today. Here is his assessment; Manufacturing strips out of metal would cost the same as plastic (as original). The metal strips could be chemically dipped chromed as opposed to the method used for the plastic which we all know deteriorates. To create the mold and manufacture the strips w/chroming would be $150 pair; minimum 10 pairs. There is no shelf life to the mold, so presumably another batch could be produced at a later date.

Based on this cost plus shipping, the interest level at the $90 poll results, and the time to coordinate the project, I think that the project isn't feasible at this time.

Keith

Guy,

I do not think making more than 10 in a batch will lower the price. Kip Motors does excellent work, however it is all hand labor, so there are no economies of scale to be achieved with larger batches.

Keith