IGNORED

Pacesetter headers?

George Sabbag

If the engine is otherwise stock the headers will make no appreciable difference. They will make more noise, thin tube wall vs thick cast manifold. They do have a tendency to leak more often than a cast manifold.

If the engine is highly modified then disregard my comments.

If the engine is otherwise stock the headers will make no appreciable difference. They will make more noise, thin tube wall vs thick cast manifold. They do have a tendency to leak more often than a cast manifold.

Don't forget to add that they rust fairly quickly unless coated.

The only bit that I found to be true is that the exhaust is louder than stock but that may also be attributed to my 2.5 inch pipe that followed on from the headers.

The stock exhaust manifold is a good thing for what it was originally designed for. Optimising the engines performance in terms of power, they're only average.

Talking NA motors, it's important to move the wasted gasses of combustion away from each of the cylinders efficiently because reversion and contamination of the fresh air/fuel mix will take place if we don't. At lower engine speeds the difference between headers and a stock exhaust manifold may not be huge but as the engine revs rise, the gas volumes increase and the time to do this decreases, the benefits of headers are there, even for a "stock" engine.

I performed a series of enhancements to a 'stock' L28 a number of years ago and found that what I've just said to be very true. Everything except the carb was stock. I was using a stock P53 intake (single downdraught manifold) with an adapter plate for a 4 barrel Holley carb. Power rose from 60 kw@wheels to 66 Kw@wheels with just the carb upgrade. The exhaust was totally stock. Then I changed the exhaust to headers (6-2-1) and a 2.5 inch pipe and the power rose to 86kw@wheels.

Yes, some might argue that the original poster was asking the effects from headers only but I believe that there is a trend here, that the exhaust is just as if not more important than the induction to modify in search of greater performance. The dyno is my proof.

Never had any problems with leaking, that's just bad luck or poor installation if they do.

Rusting may be an issue where you live ie salt on roads etc but mine have lasted donkies so I;m not worried by that.

You can wrap the header pipes with thermal wrap/tape. I did, less noise and slightly more power because the heat is kept in the exhaust and the gasses move more quickly when hot....see how slow they are at the end of the tailpipe after they've had a chance to lose some of their heat!!

Do it man and consider it your 1st performance upgrade to your engine.

:beer:

The stock 240z exhaust manifolds are a pretty good design actually.

I've never use or even touched a Pacesetter product, but, my impression based on pictures is that they are just tube benders with no real thought towards true performance.

I have seen some very nice headers over the years and just as many awful ones. Silly things like welding flash, thin mounting flanges that don't match the thickness of the intake manifolds, poor placement of pipes that don't fit all intake manifolds, poor exit angles, poor merge collectors etc.

Do you have any pictures of these pacemaker headers for the L Series 6?

Without pictures, it's a hard call to make either way.

Unless they're total crap, I still stand by what I said earlier though.

Do you have any pictures of these pacemaker headers for the L Series 6?

Without pictures, it's a hard call to make either way.

There's a Pacesetter header for sale in the classifieds section now with pictures http://www.datsunclassifieds.com/showproduct.php/product/6037/title/datsun-240z-exhaust-system-bolt-in-2128msa-premium2f-pacesetter-header-29/cat/4.

-Mike

Edited by Mike B
typo

Well Pace setter have been making headers for a long time, they are not bad but if you do not coat them they will not last long. they are other brands that are better but some quit making them. Pacesetter is a good street header. I have use them several times, but like I said they are other brands that are better.