IGNORED

Fuel Starvation???

SSuspect

Tim, It appears as if you have the oil press. switch wired bassackwards. It's doing the opposite of what you want it to do. Those little marks on the switch are very hard to see, and it's easy to get them wrong. The pump shuts off when you get oil pressure, and it should be the other way around. Good luck.

Cheers, Mike

Tim' date=' It appears as if you have the oil press. switch wired bassackwards. It's doing the opposite of what you want it to do. Those little marks on the switch are very hard to see, and it's easy to get them wrong. The pump shuts off when you get oil pressure, and it should be the other way around. Good luck.

Cheers, Mike[/quote']

Now, how aggravating would it be to turn out to be something as simple as that? Makes all the sense in the world. All you other guys writing this down?

Thanks Mike and Bruce!

Yep - Per my comments in the "stupid me" post above, I think that this is the case. I just need to re-trace a couple of the wires to the back of the switch. I "thought" I was careful when putting everything in, but maybe not careful enough... :embarrass:

I will dig into it one night this week or this coming weekend. Best case = switch a couple of wires. Worst case = go and buy another switch.

I will also be pulling out the dash this weekend to install gauges and get everything cleaned up underneath (40 years worth of dust and dirt need to go!!!).

WooHoo! Progress is good! :D

Tim, Be sure when you pull the dash to mark every single wire and connector...makes it much easier when you put everything back. Also, be sure to make sure you have no wires chafing on sharp metal bits like the stereo when you put the dash back in (ask me how I know this...can you say FIRE!!!)

Cheers, Mike

Tim' date=' Be sure when you pull the dash to mark every single wire and connector...makes it much easier when you put everything back. Also, be sure to make sure you have no wires chafing on sharp metal bits like the stereo when you put the dash back in (ask me how I know this...can you say FIRE!!!)

Cheers, Mike[/quote']

Mike it was only a little bit of smoke. ;-)

Good call. Thanks Mike! I have 18 rolls of different colors and numbers that I can use to tag the wires when I remove them. Dash is 3/4 unbolted now. Just need to pull and tag wires and then remove the last 4 bolts.

As long as I don't cross any wires (like the Oil Pressure switch), I should be good to go! :beer:

It is now BODY WORK time!

It is definitely the switch... :bulb:

If I just just bypass the safety switch and jump the fuel pump wires direct, it runs GREAT! Pressure on the gauge is a steady 3 lbs.

The switch "should" be working. While the car is running (on the fuel in the bowls), the hot lead from the ignition switch (black/wht wire under dash) to the "Normally Open" connector on the oil pressure switch IS showing 13+ volts. This should be powering the pump.

Not sure if the switch is actually bad or if it is just not registering the oil pressre early enough, but I will replace it this weekend with a new piece from Napa.

Note - When this is running, it sounds BADASS! The neighbor came over when it was running and had a BIG smile on his face! Still not sure which exhaust I will be running.

Can't wait to drive this car!

Hey Tim' date=' I got a Holley switch from Summit...works perfectly.

Cheers, Mike[/quote']

Thanks Mike! That is what I currently have. I am guessing that the switch is just bad and not engaging once it recognizes the oil pressure. It DOES have full power at the "Normally Open" contact on the switch, but the switch is not sending the power to the pump.

I will grab another one (or a similar one from Napa) tonight and try it over the weekend.

I'll report what I find. If I get the same result, the drinking will begin immediately. If so, I will report the type of alcohol I will start with! LOL

Thanks again!

Tim

Hey Tim' date=' I got a Holley switch from Summit...works perfectly.

Cheers, Mike[/quote']

Actually Mike - I do have one question regarding the wiring to your switch.

Is your Blk/Wht Ignition wire (from behind the fuse box) routed to the switch or are you powering it off of your coil? I can run either to my switch and get the same result.

Diagram of current routing attached.

Thanks!

Tim

OP Switch Routing.bmp

Edited by SSuspect