IGNORED

Rear suspension upgrades

Hey everybody! It's been a while. After just enjoying the Z for a couple of years, I'm finally ready to tear it apart again. At least the rear end. I just ordered a Suspension Techniques rear sway bar kit, and I'm thinking about strut/spring combos.

I searched a bunch of posts, but couldn't really find anything for my specific situation. The existing setup is stock (original springs, no sway bar), but the struts aren't original (but not done by me either, so I don't know what they are, or how old). A lot of what I read said that the rear sway bar alone would make a huge difference, and doing stiffer springs and new struts may make the car too stiff. I drive it pretty hard on the street, but I don't race at all. Right now, there's just too much lean when I corner hard, and my tires are occasionally rubbing. Anyone who ever lived in New England knows that the winters are real bad on pavement, and most roads around here are pretty bad.

If I do the springs, it would probably be Arizona Z, because I don't want the car any lower (Massachusetts streets). Seems I always get the right answer here, so what do you guys think? Should I do all it now, or do the sway bar now, drive it in 2011, and decide if I want it any stiffer? Keep in mind the New England streets. :angry:

Also, if you think I should do it all now, any strut recommendations for my type of driving? Thanks!

To keep a Z from leaning, there are a few bolt-on methods. Stiffen the springs, thicken the swaybars, and for added measure you may add poly bushings to the sway bars. I don't think there is any bolt-on method designed to keep the car flat, that will not trade some ride comfort. Not with this old suspension system.

Having said that, I highly recommend a staged upgrade path.

1)larger diameter wheels with lower tirewalls.

2)Stock swaybars with poly bushings or new rubber bushings.

3)Heavier swaybars with poly

4)An aftermarket spring and strut cartridge setup.

5)Coil over setup to really dial in height and still maintain the correct suspension travel.

Make sure you don't upgrade only one end of the car. Do it as a full setup.

Some people like heavier spring/strut and softer swaybars, some like the opposite. It's a matter of personal preference.

Installing a large rear sway bar without increasing your front bar will provide you with some fun times this coming driving season.

But way before you install the bar, which is a good idea on a street car, the issue of shocks and springs needs to be addressed. Just replacing whatever you have with a set of 5-way adjustable and non-progressive, linear springs (my own $00.02) should give you a firm but nice ride feel. Replacing the old rubber bushings with poly (except the steering coupler) will make your 240 feel like a whole new car.

As to driving your Z up here in MA, my 240 sits on 275lb springs w/Tokico HTS shocks, ALL poly (coupler too), large sway bars, coilovers and is all of 5.75 inches at the rockers.

Stiff? Yes. Ride? Like a flipping dream, but each to his/her own style and comfort level.

Also be aware that adding a rear sway bar will increase the tendency to oversteer or, conversely, decrease the tendency to understeer. I agree that a decent sized rear bar, say 3/4" should be accompanied by a front bar of at least 1", perhaps 1 1/8".

As Zedyone said, it is a system, and each unique change can present what is known as "unintended consequences" in the car's handling characteristics.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm leaning towards just doing the SB for now, and then deciding. If I lived in LA with nice streets, I'd probably do it all at once. But I think I like the staged approach, and I'm always looking for a project anyway!

BTW, we got a foot of wet, heavy snow this morning!! :mad: Awesome.....

• 2 months later...

I finished the Suspension Techniques rear sway bar install this weekend. What a simple and clean install! Took me less than 3 1/2 hours total, and 2 of those hours my buddy was standing over me, talking.

I only took the car for a very short ride, since I discovered a rotted out front sway bar end link bushings during the inspection, but it felt like there was less body lean. The car sits about 3/8" higher than before the install.

And I went through my notes and discovered that I replaced the rear struts last year, and forgot about it. Good thing I write stuff down! :stupid: Gonna stick with the stock springs for this year.

Also threw in a pic of my RT mount...anorther great upgrade...no more clunk!

On a sad note, my Z is going to hit 30,000 miles early this year.....:disappoin

post-14988-14150814096465_thumb.jpg

post-14988-14150814097096_thumb.jpg

post-14988-14150814097699_thumb.jpg

post-14988-14150814098274_thumb.jpg