IGNORED

Series 1 rear hatch glass

LEE240ZPERTH

I have a 70 240 which has glass in the rear hatch without demister strips, the other 70 240 that I had was the same and so is the car of a friend of mine.

At what point did they start to fit demister strips or is this just an Australian thing?

The hatch has it's original glass with nissan info stamped into the bottom corner.

The rear of the centre consul also has the cut outs for the demister switch but no button.

I don't need to replace the glass or anything, just looking to increase my knowledge of my particular car.

Regards

Lee

My Australian 1973 240Z has no rear de-mister and has no hazard switch either. Both holes are in the center console (fuse box cover) but both of the them and the choke light position have factory fitted covers over them.

I'd like to hook up the Hazard lights, does anyone know what wires the switch attaches to and where the flasher unit goes. I have the haynes manual but the wiring in all 3 240Z schematics is different to mine.

OzLime240Z

I have straight glass in the hatch 12/71 and 06/73. It comes down to that option thing. It appears that a lot of cars in Australia had very few extras. like heater demister hazards and such. I have seen two distinctly diffrent styles of demisted glass in HS30 hatches one with vertical lines and one with horizontal. Sorry I can not explain why.

Cheers

Steve

:classic:

I've not even seen a Z here in the US without this feature.

From what I've seen here and talked to Z owners about is that the verticle units were installed in the very early ('70) 240Z's. Then from that point on the horizontal units were the norm.

I believe the hazard lights and switch were a DOT (Depatrment of Transportation) requirement here in the states, but I cound be mistaken on this one.

Just adding a comment. The vertical defogger glass is hard to find and worth quite a bit too. I remember having a conversation with Lindsey Drife(forgive for incorrect spelling if it is). At the Zshop here in Melbourne and he was saying he has 1 and no it's not for sale :( I'll include an image in this post so u can see the vertical lines.

PS: It's TOD Kaneko's 240z I love this Z. (Forgive spelling again if wrong).

post-1316-14150792300314_thumb.jpg

My '72 has the vertical wiring as well. Too bad it doesn't work very good at clearing the window. I think they changed to the horizontal pattern when they ran out of the verticals as most of the 72's I have seen are the horizontal.

You guys should also know that the vertical defrosters make your Z go faster too...

• 4 months later...
Originally posted by GunnerRob

I've not even seen a Z here in the US without this feature.

From what I've seen here and talked to Z owners about is that the verticle units were installed in the very early ('70) 240Z's. Then from that point on the horizontal units were the norm.

My 11/69 production car has no rear defogger in the glass, and the console position for the switch is there, but was never cut out.

Yes, I agree with Dave Sommers regarding the transition from verticle to horizontal defrosters. The horizontal defroster was part of the changes with '72 model years cars in the US and probably officially started when the factory ran out of the old verticle ones. Because the verticle type was used through the rest of the years of first generation Z's they are much easier to find. Therefore, it is not uncommon to see an early Z with the horizontal type defroster glass installed.

Have fun!

My (Australian) Z has no demister strips either.

I believe they changed the design of the demister strips from verticle to horizontal mainly because horizontal demister strips will be more effective at demisting than the verticle strips, because of the air flow direction. Makes sense doesn't it?

Oh and from a design perspective, verticle lines make things look tall, horizontal lines make things look wide... I'm not sure if they thought about it THAT much though ROFL