IGNORED

Is this rear suspension part bent?

rscottm

rscottm - The pics you put up are of a R180. What remains to be determined is if it was modified at all from the mounting position that your car originally had. The change to the new rearward position was announced for the 1972 model year starting with HLS30-46001 but we know that there was sometimes a bit of a grey area surrounding the actual implementation of some changes. Anyhow, I dug up some info to help you determine what you have. 40 years down the road, anything is possible.

Edited by geezer

I have never driven the car. It was not drivable when I got it due to structure rust. It does not appear to me that any other of the rear suspension parts are damaged (except the torque strap is missing). It could have been bent when the previous owner trailered it to his house. He only had it for a few months and never drove it either.

How can I, or who can tell me for sure, if it is a R180? From just photos I have seen, it does not look like the R200 to me based on the style and location of the drain plugs. Are their ways to tell if it is R180 but in the later rearward location other than if a straight cross member hits the back of the diff or if I reinstall everything and see that the half shafts are perpendicular to the diff?

This car also has a straight or flat mustache bar mounting to the diff cover.

How can I, or who can tell me for sure, if it is a R180?

rscottm - OK, this thread is a little confusing and more complicated than it needs to be.

In post #4 Jim posted a couple of excellent before and after resto pics of his R180. This is the same as your car came equipt from the factory. The differential you posted pics of is also a R180. I'm pretty sure LeonV just looked at the wrong pic or something and he actually knows the difference.

You did not provide a pic of anything other than the differential assembly and the rear transverse member, so that leaves us to speculate what happened to the transverse member. Just compare with Jim's pics and forget about anything to do with a R200. cygnus1 posted a great pic of his '72 factory modified/corrected mounting so you can see the difference between the two versions.

Hope that helps.

Edited by geezer

I have never driven the car. It was not drivable when I got it due to structure rust. It does not appear to me that any other of the rear suspension parts are damaged (except the torque strap is missing). It could have been bent when the previous owner trailered it to his house. He only had it for a few months and never drove it either.

How can I, or who can tell me for sure, if it is a R180? From just photos I have seen, it does not look like the R200 to me based on the style and location of the drain plugs. Are their ways to tell if it is R180 but in the later rearward location other than if a straight cross member hits the back of the diff or if I reinstall everything and see that the half shafts are perpendicular to the diff?

This car also has a straight or flat mustache bar mounting to the diff cover.

Interesting, it had crossed my mind to ask of the car had the limiter strap over the diff, and if it was broken. I, for a moment, suspected that the front diff mount might have failed at some point, slamming the diff back into the cross bar. Not sure that's even possible, but it crossed my mind when I first saw the picture.

Edited by cygnusx1

Geezer, yes it does. I wish my parts looked that good - maybe in time. I did find that I do have the limiting strap and mounts so I think everything is there and only the bent member needs work. There is a broken piece of a bracket or something that was mounted to the front cross member. I will have to get a photo and see what it is.

Geezer, yes it does. I wish my parts looked that good - maybe in time. I did find that I do have the limiting strap and mounts so I think everything is there and only the bent member needs work. There is a broken piece of a bracket or something that was mounted to the front cross member. I will have to get a photo and see what it is.

Can't remember exactly, but there was an exhaust hanger on my front x-member. This may be your broken piece that you are talking about. You can see it on the left side near the jack head on the attached picture. Not sure what else might have been mounted in the area.

FYI - I have one of these R180 brackets (dirty, but straight - pic attached) that I just pulled from my car. I may have a set of good bushings too. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,

Tim

post-16464-14150813349365_thumb.jpg

post-16464-14150813349724_thumb.jpg