Sign in to follow this  
Arne

[2011] What did you do to/with your S30 today?

Worked on the carbs last night, cleaned the fouled plugs and re-discovered it's running way too rich. Also found one of the steering boots is torn and what I hope was just water but may be a leaking head gasket...more meds please.

Must be in the air - seeping head gasket. I took mine for a ride today, but before doing so was checking things out under the hood and noticed the seep.

Must be in the air - seeping head gasket. I took mine for a ride today, but before doing so was checking things out under the hood and noticed the seep.

Misery loves company but remember, a bad day in Abq still beats a good day in Middle GA.

Came up with a mental plan on how to pull and rebuild the blown turbo motor in the 280Z. Took a 1 hour cruise in the 240Z to help me think!

Nice warm sunny day here so out in the driveway:

Dremel and die grinder got friendly with Maxima N47. Had an E31 next to it to compare and test cutters, sanding, rolls and technique before committing.

The N47 is a very nice head stock. It is very easy to see the squish area in comparison to E31 as well as the brass seats of the E31. Most of the N47 chamber was laid back nicely with only a few sharp edges to address. I just had to soften the edge of the squish area, the edge was caused by the skimming mill. I also had the machine shop cut back the exhaust valve guides to the roof so it should flow nicely.

Cleaned up /blended the passages below the valve seat with dremel (head upside down)... especially on the short radius side of the intake. Used my finger to feel what was going on.... seemed like best technique.

Used die grinder on the manifold side to clean up the casting. I may sand the intakes with a flapper wheel extended on a drill but it looks pretty good as is.

Any last minute suggestions?

post-7641-14150814466772_thumb.jpg

post-7641-14150814467518_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blue
pics added

This was not just one day but many from November last year to Sunday 4/10. I spent 3 to 4 hour each weekend to remove clean and paint the front suspension and zinc plate the bolts and nuts. I also did some cleaning and painting on the front end area under the hood. Some before and after shots. The car started right up and the horn even works after it was taken apart.

post-13827-14150814466358_thumb.jpg

post-13827-14150814464297_thumb.jpg

post-13827-14150814464909_thumb.jpg

post-13827-14150814465355_thumb.jpg

post-13827-14150814465755_thumb.jpg

Finished stripping out the sound deadening, carpet and seats. Turns out I need both floors instead of just the driver's side, but oh well. Next step is pulling my 2 decade dormant motor and see if she still turns. Wish me luck *crosses fingers*.

Spent forty-five minutes persuading this guy that he didn't want to live in the engine compartment of my 77.:finger:

Guess that will teach me to leave the garage door open while I am mowing the yard. LOL

77snake.jpg

77snake2.jpg

Installed a new set of Yokahama Neova AD08's on the 240.....all I can say is WOW!!!

Spent 4 hours changing the oil pan gasket. Woulnd't have taken nearly as long if I didn't have to raise the engine to get my Arizona Z Car aluminum pan out. Well, and if the steel drain plug hadn't seized in the aluminum too...

Popped the valve cover, no visible damage, clean as a whistle on the valve train, replaced the distributor cap and rotor and fixed the god awful knocking on my #5 cylinder, now I've just got to figure out why it's running so rich.

Took my yellow Z to a TV commercial shoot here in San Diego. The TV commercial is for the San Diego County Fair. They were looking for a '70's vehicle and I was selected. They liked the bright yellow color. (not an original color, but your average TV viewer won't know). The short ~6 second spot showed two actors dressed '70s style running to the car and getting in to go to the fair. Was cool to watch. Nice to see the Z promoted and they took some good shots of the car. They also gave me $150 and a catered lunch for about 2 hours of my time. Not bad.

Began digging into the engine compartment, tagging, bagging, and labeling as I went along. Also figuring out how to undo my brothers ghetto wiring job on his attempt to fix the car.

Took my yellow Z to a TV commercial shoot here in San Diego. The TV commercial is for the San Diego County Fair. They were looking for a '70's vehicle and I was selected. They liked the bright yellow color. (not an original color, but your average TV viewer won't know). The short ~6 second spot showed two actors dressed '70s style running to the car and getting in to go to the fair. Was cool to watch. Nice to see the Z promoted and they took some good shots of the car. They also gave me $150 and a catered lunch for about 2 hours of my time. Not bad.

Very cool! I'm jealous on many levels...

Got my car rained on!

Sunday was beautiful and the bride & I went for a nice pleasure run and drove her to the farmer's market.

Yesterday I took her to work without checking the forecast and she sat in the rain for the 1st time since the restoration.

Dang weatherman didn't call me up and warn me. Guess it had to happen sometime...

Broke two rules this past weekend. Drove more miles than I normally put on the 240Z in a whole year AND drove through torrential rain and flooding in the Charlottesville area of Virginia. The club, TZCCA, had a winery trip planned. Six members showed up and a seventh appeared on Sunday. I clocked about 530 miles! The only mishap was my car started hitting a rpm wall coming home at 75 average speeds. Suddenly I couldn't get past 60 with the pedal floored. This would clear up then rear it's ugly head again and again. I nursed it home at posted speed limits. No apparent problems under the hood and no backfiring. The fuel filter looked full and clean. The tank was flushed, etched and sealed a few years back. I guess it could be the old RX-7 electric fuel pump starting to go too. I'm suspecting the +20 Allison ignition system so I ordered a new Petronix igniter and coil last night.

Edited by ezzzzzzz

finished refreshing both bumpers and got the new rubber on them. Added a fresh coat of chrome polish and now awaiting some rubber bracket pieces so I can put them on! David Jacks, Fort Worth, Texas '72 240Z

Removed left rear interior panel to access power antenna assembly [note to self: order panel pins for those MIA]

Removed and disassembled antenna assembly to replace mast and clean and lube while it's opened up.

No good. Part from antennaX.com (eBay) is not a correct replacement part. $20 and free shipping should have been a clue that "something that seems too good to be true..."

Posted a WTB for a good mast/bad motor assembly and crossing fingers. I know I can buy an aftermarket but...

Probably will buy a short mast so I can listen to my OEM AM/FM stereo hi-fi occasionally. Somebody will come through. In the mean time, I can refurb the antenna assembly.

Coming home from work, noticed the engine was hot and steam coming from right side of hood. Pulled over at nearest gas station to find the problem...not hard to find. Looks like a little un-authorized Arc welding took place. Attachment of battery cable to solenoid was loose (even with lock washer), and cable rotated up touching hose clamp that was touching engine block. Circuit complete for arc weld. Totally melted clamp and put hole in hose. Never had that happen before. Easy fix though. McGyver'd it to get it home, then replace clamp, trimmed hose, taped cable and re-tightened. Easy fix.

post-19125-14150814591556_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150814592134_thumb.jpg