IGNORED

F*&k, I think my brand new rear main seal is leaking!!

cozye

Jeff,

thanks for all the info and the clarification on these side seals. I'm hoping this will cure my issue and this thread will surely help out others.

Jeff, you should consider coming down for the Midwest Z show in Nashville Indiana!

Ugggghhhh! I'm sorry to hear you still have a leak Steve.

Depending on how the prep on my 260Z race car goes, I might be able to make the 16th. I'm building a new motor and I have a bunch of other mods to do as well. The plan is to have it ready for a track day at Grattan at the end of May. If we get it ready in time and that testing goes well, June will be pretty quiet, but if it needs additional work, I'll be thrashing to get it ready for our 12 hour July race at Nelson Ledges.

I hope to get my street Z out of the garage pretty soon too. Last year, it stayed in the corner of the garage with the cover on it all summer.

• Like 1

I just tapped the seals in with a hammer.

I'm not good in English, but I never had to use a hammer to get seals in...

It's important to use alot of oil on the seal when installing ( or else you will damage the rubber, and it will be damaged on first start of the engine ), I usually just drip it into the oil. Then push the seal in place with a little clockwise rotation with your fingers. Some seals might need a little help, but very gently with the right driving tool. I also seen alot of seals pushed to deep.

Harder seals aren't always better, usually I prefer the softer versions.