IGNORED

F*&k, I think my brand new rear main seal is leaking!!

cozye

Thanks, this is what CZCC is all about, making less work for your Z brother! I just don't want to pull that trans again, my rotor cup in my shoulder still hurts. I would gladly pull the oil pan over pulling the trans any day.

I actually recieved those seals with one of my gasket purchases , but just looked at them and had no clue since the engine was basically assembled by the engine shop. I will take your advice and get the better seals from MSA or Nissan. I ordered a felpro oil pan gasket a while ago and it's sitting there ready to go.

Yeah, everyone was telling me that I would have to pull the cap. If you look back in this thread though another guy mentioned using small needle nose to pull them out. it worked like a charm. When you first look at them, it will look like there is no way you can get at it with the needle nose, but just take a real small flat screw driver and "pick" some of the rubber out, then you will see the exposed metal nail and you will easily be able to pull it out. (this is assuming it has the OEM style seals). The slid right out like butter. Once I had the oil pan off, it was literally a 5 minute job.

Sweet, thanks for keeping up with this thread. I wish i wasn't in the middle of moving or I would takle this right away. I hate oil leaks ---especially on a car I restored, it just looks bad. I want to drive this car to Nashville TN this weekend, but I am concerned with going having this oil leak. It only leaves a spot about 3" in diameter after sitting in the garage, but curious if it could go chatostrophic on me on a long drive. I hardly notice anything on the dip stick, but worried just the same. I don't want to go to TN unless I can cruise the Z!!!!

I replaced my side seals last week do to a slight leak as well. I pried the seals out with a small screw driver and pliers. When I looked at them it didn't look like they were put in with rtv like the manual suggests.

I went ahead and pulled the main cap and found they didn't use any sealant on it either. If you have the time go ahead and pull it just to make sure everything is right.

• 1 month later...
Time to fix my rear main seal-wish me luck!

Good luck!

I replaced my side seals last week do to a slight leak as well. I pried the seals out with a small screw driver and pliers. When I looked at them it didn't look like they were put in with rtv like the manual suggests.

I went ahead and pulled the main cap and found they didn't use any sealant on it either. If you have the time go ahead and pull it just to make sure everything is right.

Didn't catch this previously. My seals did not have any RTV on them and I'm sure they were like that from the factory. I didn't put any RTV on the replacements either and they haven't leaked a drop since.

I don't want to pull the main bearing, but man I want to make sure. I don't have the right pulller either. My seals looked like genuine Nissan because they were one piece. I know I had sealant on top of the seal like recommended, am I also suppose to have sealant up in the cavity?

Man I don't want to do this again.

I just tapped the seals in with a hammer. I'm telling you it hasn't even thought about leaking. I drove it to Zcon and have put 2000 miles on the car since then. It's as dry as the sahara under the car. When you pull the old ones out, it will be obvious.

Edited by cozye

Just did a quick comparison of seals. I ordered mine from MSA also which were a Nissan seal and they are definitely thicker then what i pulled out. The ones I pulled out were one piece , but noticably thinner. So the fact that you didn't use sealant Cozy might be offset by the fact that the stock seals fit tighter.

Hey Coyze,

do you remember how those seals fit. Mine do NOT fit flush with the oil pan surface. They stick out about an 1/16".

As far as sealer, the Chilton just shows using sealant around these seals before installing the oil pan gasket--maybe because they do stick out a little?