IGNORED

Interesting sound on decel.

Pomorza

Hey guys

I'm leaving my Z in storage for three weeks as I go visit family in Florida. A few days ago I noticed a rather interesting sound while decelerating, at speeds under 10mph. (I'm guessing like 2-5). The best way I can describe it is it literally sounds like a wobble sound coming from the rear passenger's side.

For investigation purposes I lifted the rear of the car off the ground. (placed the jack under the pumpkin) and span the wheels to see what I would find. Found that the rear passenger's side tire will slow to a stop about 3/4 of the way around. (so like 270 degrees). I don't know if it's the brakes rubbing or maybe a bad bearing (I didn't really have time to investigate more).

Does anyone have an idea? Noticed the topic about rear brakes before posting this, is that a possibility?

Jan

I had a similar case once, turned out to be the rear drum pad was stuck. Also, did you check your parking brake on that side?

Ah dam no I did not. I'm going to pull the drum off when I get back from my family visit. But wouldn't the parking brake hold the wheel constantly and not just at one section of the wheel? Same with the shoe?

Jan

On second thought, yeah you are right about the parking brake. It would probably hold the wheel constantly, and you wouldn't be able to accelerate easily.

A good test to see if it is the drum is let the clutch off slightly without stepping on the accelerator to see if there is any resistance or premature stalling. I think someone in the previous thread had mentioned trying that.

• 1 month later...

Ya it sounds like something hanging in the drum. I'd take it off and take a look it could be several things even brake dust catching the drum. The worse things you might find is a warped drum or a bad slave which by how you described it is very unlikely. Also check the e-brake cables and make sure they are full releasing. If you find a broken spring or something else get a brake drum hardware kit they are not that bad in price and good insurance for years of service.

By the way the wheel rolled smoothly when you turned it? I was thinking about the wheel bearing when typing this, but you would have problems at higher speeds, not like you described.