IGNORED

First time Z owner

Perfect240Z

A little upset tonight. I was given this car that was supposed to be almost original. Apparently the motor may have been rebuilt at some point, or maybe just the head was. I went searching for the head casting number tonight and what I found was a e88 head, not the e31 head that I thought I had. I found the block casting and that I believe is the e31 block. Very hard to see with those damn old headers in the way so I'll have to remove those to confirm but it looks like I have the e31 head. I was curious to look this up today because I realized I think IM supposed to have a oil bar for the cam and the head doesn't have that. Did the e88 head have the oil bar? because I don't see anything that looks like a oil bar.

I also took off the little sticky trim on the side of the car.....someone thought it was a cool idea to add this trim to cover up holes in the body...also saw some bondo lookin stuff. I know this car is in relatively amazing condition for its age, but the little surprises are not making it seem easier for me LOL.

I actually should've expected worse ya know LOL. But I was told it was all original and it wasn't. I wanted to keep this one original or at least the entire motor original. But looks like if I want to do that I have to find a e31 head. I hear those are hard to find since they were on the 69-70 Z's And since thats what I have then it will be hard to find.

So I took today to work on the car a little. I took the rear tail lights and plates off found a common rust spot that was covered by some kind of glue to either hide it or stop it. Either way its not too good. I also finished taking off the headers, intake manifold, carbs, and radiator+lines. Going to get the stuff to do a leak down test soon, might take awhile to get the money to either rent the compressor or buy, I want one so we'll see how long it'll take to do that. Im also going to attempt a valve adjustment when I get a feeler gauge. Maybe The car is dieing for a valve adjustment, and fuel from my broken carbs. I took some pics of the engine bay and back hatch area.post-23144-14150815707975_thumb.jpg

post-23144-14150815706983_thumb.jpg

post-23144-14150815707541_thumb.jpg

post-23144-14150815732873_thumb.jpg

post-23144-1415081573337_thumb.jpg

post-23144-14150815733925_thumb.jpg

post-23144-14150815734348_thumb.jpg

wow multi tasking must be your thing. i may have missed it in the 8 pages of this thread but did you buy a stock exhaust manifold yet? i suspect you are also getting exhaust fumes in the car from the rust holes in the back tail light area. if it were me i'de concentrate

on one thing at a time and prioritize if money is a big issue. the exhaust fumes are a definate high priority. did you ever get the carbs to sync properly? is there play in the

throttle shafts? you may be better off getting another set of good used ones from someone here. wish i was still in norcal myself so i could give you a hand.

wow multi tasking must be your thing. i may have missed it in the 8 pages of this thread but did you buy a stock exhaust manifold yet? i suspect you are also getting exhaust fumes in the car from the rust holes in the back tail light area. if it were me i'de concentrate

on one thing at a time and prioritize if money is a big issue. the exhaust fumes are a definate high priority. did you ever get the carbs to sync properly? is there play in the

throttle shafts? you may be better off getting another set of good used ones from someone here. wish i was still in norcal myself so i could give you a hand.

I have a stock exhaust manifold. Im running 4 screw sus on them. The carbs have air leaks in the shafts so I'll be ordering new ones from ztherapy at some point. Im doing one thing, the tear down. Im currently chipping away the old sound deadner inside the car. I never did anything prior to this because my car was stuck at work. Car is now home so Im doing a complete restoration.

Get some dry ice for the sound deadner it will make it brittle enough by cooling to brake like peanut brittle

I actually bought some already and started chipping away at it. I got the drivers side 90% done, and 1/4 -1/2 of the rear hatach. Back was hurting from bending down so I went and switched to standing up. I took some picks of the floor pans and back hatch, I throw it up when i get home from work.

Have I been doing that?? I really didn't mean too LOL. I just did a leak down test and it was odd I guess I should say. I only had a 5% loss in pressure in all cylinders. Which I believe that means the motor is great. However I could put more then 40psi of pressure into the block without the crank turning on it's own.... Any thoughts? Transmission is not bolted to the block since I'm getting my new one.