IGNORED

First time Z owner

Perfect240Z

Ohh I see now, good to know, I did find a japanese brand that makes the twin verticle exhaust. You have to get a custom made flange to make it fit, but it will fit to a MSA 6-1 header. Cost a lot though, I'll have to get a different cheaper system for now till I can become rich LOL.

The intake is factory. Clifford was an aftermarket exhaust manufacture

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?34920-A-review-of-what-s-gone-period-240Z-exhausts&highlight=supersprint

By the way if the car is not accelerating properly, check the system out first before rebuilding the engine.

I figured the motor needed a good rebuild if its a 1970 model. I don't know how to tell if its been rebuilt or not. The exahust system for sure is shot, rusted so badley and badley put on it wasn't even linked properly, and it had hole in it. How can I tell if it needs a rebuild?

Do a compression and leakdown test. Procedures are widely available online, make sure to take out plugs, plug fuel lines and WOT for comp test.

Ok I'll look into finding a compression tester to rent. So if the compression is fine then I don't have to do a rebuild?

I have a comp tester, where are you located? Compression should be pretty even across the board, don't worry about the numbers as much. If it's not even, then there are some more diagnostics to go through. Make sure to check and adjust valve lash to spec if necessary.

You can't tell just by the pic that the cam is worn. A valve adjustment can do wonders in the way a car runs.

why i think it has been opened up--- an e31 head had an externally oiled cam. The cam on that head is internally oiled and uses the cam towers from an internally oiled cam.

If the valve adjustment doesn't work, then I would check to make sure the timing gear, chain, oil pump and distributor are correctly aligned.

transmission-- Have you run the gear shift through all the gears? There should be 6 gates for a 5 speed(1-5 and reverse), and 4 for 4 speed(1-4 and reverse)

Just because the engine is a 70's model doesn't mean it automatically needs rebuilt. I have torn down at least 3 engines and after looking at them there was no reason they needed rebuilt. I wish I would have had more faith in the nissan motors. I could have saved a lot of money.

You can't tell just by the pic that the cam is worn. A valve adjustment can do wonders in the way a car runs.

why i think it has been opened up--- an e31 head had an externally oiled cam. The cam on that head is internally oiled and uses the cam towers from an internally oiled cam.

If the valve adjustment doesn't work, then I would check to make sure the timing gear, chain, oil pump and distributor are correctly aligned.

transmission-- Have you run the gear shift through all the gears? There should be 6 gates for a 5 speed(1-5 and reverse), and 4 for 4 speed(1-4 and reverse)

Just because the engine is a 70's model doesn't mean it automatically needs rebuilt. I have torn down at least 3 engines and after looking at them there was no reason they needed rebuilt. I wish I would have had more faith in the nissan motors. I could have saved a lot of money.

Interesting, I just saw an oil bar on one motor and never really thought about that, it was on an l28 I think the guy had though....I'm going to dos compression check with a friend soon. Thatll probably say alot. The transmission however is not good for sure, I drove the car up and down the street for the last few months and it def does not go into 5th. It feels like it drops a gear when you put it in 5th. There were no bushings for the shifter but it should still go into all the gears. It says on the transmission housing "datsun 5 speed transmission 240z, l20" someone wrote that on there. I'll look into doing a valve adjustment too the same day as the compression test. Might still pull the motor so Incan replace the broken rubber on the engine mounts though.